walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

4 season boots and toe pain - help!!!

4 season boots and toe pain - help!!!

Postby Hill-loving lady » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Have a pair of Salomon 4 season boots for these wintry conditions, and all is well on the way in, the way up and a bit of the way out...THEN the pain starts :( My toes feel like they are cramping and short of stopping every mile or so to flex them for a few minutes, I haven't managed to find a solution to this issue. It is at the point of putting me off winter walks!!!

Obviously, walking at this time of year I can't compromise on the safety aspect so can't NOT wear the boots (crampon compatible), have tried a range of insoles, sock combinations etc. Grinned and beared it a fair few times too - so if anyone has a suggestion of what else I can do I'd be pleased to hear it! Here's hoping... :?
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Re: 4 season boots and toe pain - help!!!

Postby keithmctaggart » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 pm

I just bought a pair of Grivel flexible walking crampons to go with my Salomon 4d boots, obviously these crampons are not designed for climbing but just for walking. I haven't worn them yet but I will tomorrow going up Mt Keen if needed. Cost £80. These are for flexible 3-4 season boots and not for winter boots....hopefully they will be fine and I won't have to purchase a set of winter boots and crampons....find out tomorrow I guess.
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby NickyRannoch » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

dont know where you are walking but i carry a pair of lightweight running shoes for landrover tracks or tarmac on the walks in or out.much nicer than yomping in big boots.

also i dont wear a full winter boot. scarpa sl with grivel monta rosa seems to be sufficient for winter hillwalking
Last edited by NickyRannoch on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Meatball » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Take them to see a podiatrist?
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Rudolph » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Have you tried changing the way the boots are laced when it comes to the walk out? Maybe loosening the laces over the foor and tightening the ankle support, or vice versa

It turns out there are far more ways of lacing boots than I thought possible and a good boot shop should be able to advise - especially of you bought the boots from them.

Altberg have been brilliant in this regard.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Rudolph wrote:Have you tried changing the way the boots are laced when it comes to the walk out? Maybe loosening the laces over the foor and tightening the ankle support, or vice versa

It turns out there are far more ways of lacing boots than I thought possible and a good boot shop should be able to advise - especially of you bought the boots from them.

Altberg have been brilliant in this regard.

today I had a similar problem in the last mile of our walk. we were only out for a couple of hours, but when I loosened the front of the laces the problem disappeared. my theory is that my forefoot had swollen slightly as I was walking and there was not enough space in the front of my boots.
the next time I am out, I am going to try lacing the boots from the second hole up.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby bikerbill » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:13 pm

I agree with MrsSanta, I leave my laces slightly slack near the toes and it seems to work for me. Probably not related, but using a Pedicure or Pumice stone on hard skin appeared to work for me aswell.
bikerbill
Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 pm

You can go an awful lot ofplaces in Brashers and microspikes, but wouldn't advise for anything steep.Sold my 4 seasons on e-bay for the same reason, and would really like to do more high level winter walking....but not in agony.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Not sure where in the toes you are getting the pain - if it's coming from the ball of your feet (metatarsals) and feels like burning underneath the foot and on up to the toes, then I sympathise!
The only solution I've found has been to switch my boots for approach shoes for as much of the walk in and walk out as I can get away with. Got a pair of Scarpa Vectors for this purpose, and they're really comfortable and can handle stony/uneven patches. The only downside is having to carry either the shoes when you've got boots on, stow away boots and crampons when wearing the shoes, but I've found it makes the long winter days much more bearable
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Milesy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Sometimes you need to just grin and bear it. I wear B3 boots and they are fine until the end of the day. I was walking off Ben Nevis on Friday and could have cried like a baby.

Try a pair of insoles as well. I use Sorthobane[sic] double strike insoles in my boots and they definately help, but are no means a cure :) I also only lace up the first "hook" on the boots until I put my crampons on.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks for the advice folks - will look at the lacing scenario first! No need for a pumice stone, smooth as a baby's bum!
Was out yesterday in slushy, patchy snow and BOG and wore my 3 season boots, left the crampons in the vehicle and my feet were in great (but wet and cold) condition at the end - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Roll on spring :lol:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Oxon Crawler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:44 am

Rudolph wrote:It turns out there are far more ways of lacing boots than I thought possible and a good boot shop should be able to advise - especially of you bought the boots from them.

Regarding lacing up of boots I came across this video:
Expert Boot Lacing
Contains some useful tricks, I've started using some of them myself.
Oxon Crawler
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion