walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Malverns ridge walk

Malverns ridge walk

Postby Oxon Crawler » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Date walked: 03/03/2013

Time taken: 5.75

Distance: 19.9 km

Ascent: 1300m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time to post my first walk report:
Last weekend the weather looked bit more favourable even down in here, Saturday being blue and sunny. I couldn't stand the itch to get out anymore so for Sunday I've decided to give Malvern Hills a go as they are just about 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live.
Hit the road about 7 am and after a coffee stop and 80 miles I've arrived to Earnslaw Quarry car park at 8:30.
Geared up and hit the track around 9 am going northwards, skirting eastern side of the hills on the track leading to St. Ann's Well. Weather was bit foggy by then but there was a hope for a bit of sun later as forecast by MetOffice. Unfortunately they were once again proven wrong and the sun somehow didn't materialised all the day.

Worcestershire Beacon - highest summit on the ridge

St. Ann's Well building

Past St. Ann's Well track initially then sharply rises out of the surrounding woods, zigzagging towards the first summit of the day - North Hill, with magnificent views opening towards Great Malvern, surrounding plain, Bredon Hill and the ridge itself.

Great Malvern

Worcestershire Beacon - from the slopes of North Hill

From the summit of North Hill it is fairly straightforward walk in southerly direction taking in all the summits of the ridge. There is hardly any need for a map unless you are totally "navigationally challenged" person, especially on the ridge.

View of Worcestershire Beacon with small lump of Sugarloaf Hill in the front

Back towards North Hill (right) and Table Hill (left)

Ascent to Worcestershire Beacon summit ahead

Summit toposcope

Trig point - been there, done that etc etc... :lol:

From the summit of WB it is rollecoaster walk along the ridge ahead with some fairly sharp ascents

Ridgewalk

Snowdrops in Upper Wyche

Upper Wyche with Worcestershire Beacon in background

Worcs Beacon, Perseverance Hill, Jubille Hill (back to front) from Pinnacle Hill

Gliders on Pinnacle Hill

Must have been a good day for them as it was brisk winds (albeit chilly).
Now the Herefordshire Beacon w ith British Camp (turning point of my walk) was clearly visible and not so far anymore, or I thought so :wtf:

Black Hill in the front with Herefordshire Beacon in background

British Camp - zoomed

Ridge back to the north

Panorama of the ridge from Herefordshire Beacon

Millenium Hill

British Camp

British Camp Reservoir

On top of British Camp I've been tempted a little bit to continue along the ridge to finish it but decided against it a I still had considerable walk back to the car ahead of me.
On my way back I've encountered one minor obstacle in form of seemingly neverending stairs I had to climb to get back to my car. They looked a a nice shortcut and very innocent initially but very quickly turned into my worst nightmare. Climbing good more than hundred of them after 19 km walk wasn't nice to put it mildly :crazy:

Stairway to heaven (or better to say to hell?)

Stats of my walk from my smartphone app (MyTracks):
Name: Malvern Hills
Activity type: Walking
Description: Round trip of Malverns
Total distance: 19.89 km (12.4 mi)
Total time: 5:15:23
Moving time: 4:45:10
Average speed: 3.78 km/h (2.4 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 4.19 km/h (2.6 mi/h)
Max speed: 9.90 km/h (6.2 mi/h)
Average pace: 15.85 min/km (25.5 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 14.33 min/km (23.1 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 6.06 min/km (9.8 min/mile)
Max elevation: 475 m (1558 ft)
Min elevation: 192 m (631 ft)
Elevation gain: 1393 m (4569 ft)
Max grade: 0 %
Min grade: 0 %
Recorded: 03/03/2013 08:45
Attachments

Malverns.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Oxon Crawler
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Re: Malverns ridge walk

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:26 pm

That is a wonderful stretch of the legs OC, with or without the sunshine, I have friends in Worcester who took me wandering the Malverns a couple of times, this really brings back memories of that beautiful place.....fantastic first post mate :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Oxon Crawler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks Chris, still nowhere near as smashing as your reports.
It was cracking walk, sunshine or not, as I've been more and more desperate to get out and blow off the cobwebs, this one fit the bill just perfectly and on top the Malverns are a little gem in the middle of the country.
Oxon Crawler
Mountaineer

Postby clivegrif » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Hey its good to see my local hills getting an airing on here!

Glad you enjoyed your day - they are a lovely little range of hills.

If you get the chance of a return trip, try starting from the southern end - lower, but quieter and more wooded.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Oxon Crawler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 am

Clive - very close to you indeed, just a stones throw from Worcester, on sunny weekends the ridge looks like a rendezvous point for a half of the city :roll:
My intention is to do complete ridge at some point from south to north, all the hills included. It will be bit harder but well worth it.
Oxon Crawler
Mountaineer

Postby Ibex » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Nice little walk there OC. Very close to me as well.
Might have to get my boots on this weekend. Even the wife might be up for that one! :lol:

Some great photo's as well. Nice action shots of the gliders and the snowdrops look nice too.
Good stuff. Hope it spurs you on to some bigger walks soon....Brecon just a little further down the road. :wink:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby clivegrif » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Oxon Crawler wrote:Clive - very close to you indeed, just a stones throw from Worcester, on sunny weekends the ridge looks like a rendezvous point for a half of the city :roll:
My intention is to do complete ridge at some point from south to north, all the hills included. It will be bit harder but well worth it.

The walk from one end to the other is really worthwhile. The most accessible start (or end) is the farm at Chase End Street, the path runs from the farm alongside a field and then up into the woods. The steepest climbs are up Ragged Stone Hill and then onto Midsummer Hill.

And yes you are right, you will meet half of the population of the West Midlands on Malvern Beacon on a sunny bank holiday!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby colgregg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 am

Another set of hills that proves that the magical 3000ft (or even 2000ft) mark doesn't have to be hit to have an exhilerating day out in the country.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland