walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hope, Sutherland

Ben Hope, Sutherland

Postby ALANREIDHILLS » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 11/08/1964

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8.9 km

Ascent: 1162m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dad, Mum, Elizabeth, Christine

Mist quickly cleared and we set out for Ben Hope. On the way we passed Dun Dornaigil, a broch in good repair. Shortly beyond this we left the car and set out on to the hill.
At the top of the first steep bit I decided to have a go at the west face, which looked possible from where we were. I got stuck about halfway up and had to descend again to rejoin the south slope and follow the others, arriving 30 minutes after them at the summit. On the top we were above the clouds and could see Ben Loyal and Quinag amongst others, sticking up through them. Christine and I walked round the cliff top while the others started their descent. On our way we looked down the cliff at several points and at one where we could see the 'tadpole' I couldn't reach, I saw a buzzard with pronounced black primaries.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ALANREIDHILLS
Wanderer

Munros:94   Corbetts:197
Fionas:90   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:14   Islands:63

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland