walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Easter Wainwright Bagging (Now Anywhere)

Easter Wainwright Bagging (Now Anywhere)

Postby Ibex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 am

I'm planning to go up to the Lakes for the weekend of Friday 29th April, too Monday 1st of April.
Taking advantage of the bank holidays to go and bag some hills. Need to get in training, as i've just signed up to climb Kilimanjaro in Feb 2014.

Planning to bag some peaks around the Ulswater area. I plan on staying at Sykeside Farm, near Brothers water, either, probably camping. Theres a good pub on site, that does good food and good beer as well.

General itinerary for the week is get there either Thursday night, or more likely early Friday morning.
Small walk on Friday to 'warm up'. This will probably be High Hartsop Dodd, Little Hart Crag, Red Screes and Middle Dodd.

4 Wainwrights, all new for me!

Saturday

Arnison Crag, Birks, St Sunday Crag, Fairfield (possibly), Seat Sandal, Dollywagon Pike, Nethermost Pike and Birkhouse Moor.

7 or 8 Wainwrights. 6 new ones for me!

Sunday

Glenridding Dodd, Shefflled Pike, Hart Side, Raise, White Side, Hellvelyn and Catstye Cam.

7 Wainwrights. 5 new ones for me!

Monday

Up early for a decent ish walk, then back for a shower and the drive home.

Clough Head, Great Dodd, Watsons Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd, and High Rigg.

5 Wainwrights, all new for me.

----

All in all a good weekend of walking, where the aim is to bag 23 - 24 Wainwrights. Will probably avoid Faifield, as the descent to Grisedale Tarn from there is very scree heavy and steep.

Anyone up for it? :D
Last edited by Ibex on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Easter Wainwright Bagging

Postby Ibex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 pm

I forgot to mention that I can be very flexible with the waling routes.
The rough itinerary I put up, was my best case scenario, for trying to knock off all the Eastern Fells.

If you wanted to do something else, just let me know.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby AJNicholls » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 am

If I wasn't at a wedding, I'd be in the Lakes myself for Easter.

I did your Friday's route in August 2011, where I was surprised to find a half eaten sheep near the summit of Red Screes. I presume the birds had been feeding on it. A bit startling to discover though. The hills in that loop can be rather deserted.

With your Saturday, I did the first 5 together, then back over Fairfield to descend the long Eastward flank of Little Hart Crag. I would warn you that the route from Fairfield to Seat Sandal has quite a bit of scree.

And I haven't done the others on your list except for High Rigg.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby Ibex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 am

Shame your at the wedding.

I know the route up 'the arse of Fairfield' well. Been up it a few times and the extremely steep scree is difficult on the way up, so I will try and avoid it on the way down. Always found the walk up that steep slope, absolutely knackering.

There is a path on the map that comes from St Sunday Crag, down to Grisedale Tarn, before it reaches Cofa Pike, so I will try and hit that path to avoid the scree strewn descent.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby Ibex » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

No one at all?
Ok, how about if I open it up to anywhere in Brecon, Wales, Cumbria or Southern (ish) Scotland?

Ideally i'd need someone to help me with winter walking, as I haven't done much before.
Just watched the winter essentials DVD from MCoS and got myself an ice axe. Currently just have hiking books, so may have to quickly buy some stiffer boots and crampons, before coming up though. Will consider it an investment though. :)
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Re: Easter Wainwright Bagging (Now Anywhere)

Postby Ibex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 am

Last chance. Anywhere in the UK for 4 days.................any takers at all?
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am

I think you need to head north - everyone is on the WH Kinlochewe weekend!

EDIT wrong weekend. I wish I could delete this now :oops:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Ibex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 am

Nevermind malky! Not that many people will see it. Just the whole internet.......

Looks like there is avalance risks for the Lakes this weekend and the park ranger is saying that only experienced walkers should be going there, as temperatures on the tops are going to drop to -21. Plus there is a lot of loose snow about above 800m.
Full on ice axe and crampon weather.

Looks like I will have to sack off the Lakes. Might head to Brecon instead. Or I may just have to put off my trip and go in a few weekends time, when the weather is better. :(
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 pm

What did you decide in the end?
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Postby Ibex » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Decided that discresion was the better part of valour and not to go this time. As much as its put me in a bad mood, it stops the wife worrying about me.

Going to work on some fitness, go indoor bouldering and get myself ready for another trip in a couple of weeks.

Absolutely gutted that I am missing out on 4 days of walking, but it will be more sensible to go when the weather is a little better.
I can gear up to some winter walking later in the year, when the wife is more confident of me being in the hills.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 pm

OK. It's not such a bad thing having someone looking out for you. :)

Have a good weekend nonetheless.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs