walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

No routes taking in An Socach (Braemar)+The Cairnwell Munros

No routes taking in An Socach (Braemar)+The Cairnwell Munros

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey folks, was looking over the routes for An Socach (Braemar) and was quite surprised there is no account of any doing just that and The Cairnwell Munros other than the marathon sized 2 day walks. (Maybe they are listed under The Cairnwell Munros + An Socach instead.)

Any reason for this anyone is aware of? I was thinking of doing the route shown here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map3_6cg.shtml and tacking on An Socach by following the dotted line round to avoid too much of a height drop then through the .756 mark and up, returning by the same route. Guessing 9 hours round trip but haven't measured it out yet.

Will draw a pretty picture after work but from that description can anyone foresee any issues doing that this Saturday or in general?
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: No routes taking in An Socach (Braemar)+The Cairnwell Mu

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Should be no problem in general, though there is likely to be more fresh snow by Saturday which might make it quite hard going. Starting and finishing at Baddoch would give a more logical round with a little less height gain, and avoiding some of the ski area (the N ridge of Carn Aosta is definitely its best feature and worth doing).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby whiteburn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:01 pm

A good route is to cycle the 8 – 9km up to from Inverey and then tackle An Socach with Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor and Carn Bhac. Route’s around 22km (plus the bike ride) with 1200m of ascent. Would be quite tough going in current conditions though, nice summer route especially if combined with a camp at Altanour Lodge
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Alan S » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi Ryan
I done An Socach from the ski centre along with carn aosda in just over 5 hours which was a really straightforward day, we could have done this a lot quicker but it was my brothers 1st munro and we were taking our time.
I headed down by loch vrotachan and over the baddoch burn thanks to this handy wee bridge
blackberry%20pics%202012%20221.jpg

we then followed the track on the other side to its end and headed up a good path by the Allt Boruiche burn to An Socach without any difficulties.
This might not be any use to you but just incase it helps in your plans :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Cheers for the advice folks, a couple of individual replies then I'll show you the current plan for your opinions :)

Whiteburn - We've got Glas Tulaichean pencilled in with another route but if we miss An Socach for whatever reason this trip I'll probably add it with that, cheers.

Alan - That wee bridge is good to know about! The route I've came up with doesn't have us go down to the loch but if I have to change it (away to check out its feasibility now) then I'll certainly keep that in mind and most likely make use of it. Thanks!

jmarkb - I think your advice has had the most impact on the route. Hopefully the weather is clear enough now snow shouldn't be too much of an issue but you are right about the starting point, Baddoch makes more sense. The disadvantage is it means we will do An Socach first rather than the other 3 which scuppers the idea of dropping it if we are running low on time. I guess we could always do it backwards with what I've got planned down below....hmmm.....

The Plan

Here is the general idea of the route I'm thinking (start in the top right where I can get parked near there):

My only worries really are walking off any track for long periods through boggy land. I hate really boggy parts with a passion and since a large portion of the start of this route is near a river I'm rather concerned I'm going to run into quite a bit.

Anyone know if there is a semi-reasonable path already laid down that follows this route I can take?

Also what's the thoughts on doing this clockwise instead so we can drop An Socach if needed (I'm guesstimating 11 hours for this route give or take)?

Cheers folks. :)
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby Meatball » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I came off an Socach that way and it wasn't boggy and fairly easy going.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3

Postby nil7 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Park a little further north and take the track past Baddoch. The Munro path climbs over Socach Mor.
I did the start and finish of your route in June 08, but descended north from An Socach to add an anti-clockwise round of the other 4 and rejoined your route by following the council boundary from Carn a' Chlarsaich. Aprolonged dry spell meant there were no boggy bits. The whole round took 13.5 hours.
nil7

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:169   Donalds:72
Sub 2000:295   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:40 am

Cheers guys.

I do plan on parking further up, that was just the most I could fit on the map I printed! According to the OS map there is a wooded area further up, we'll set off from there. Right, best get some sleep, long day tomorrow!
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion