walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lota Corrie

Lota Corrie

Postby Knapík » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Hello,
I wonder whether it is possible to link Sgurr nan Gillean with Bruach na Frithe via Lota Corrie. I am thinking of descending into Lota Corrie from Bealach a´Ghlas-choire and then going up either to Bealach nan Lice or Bealach a´Bhasteir or even directly to the top of Bruach na Frithe. Can anyone tell me if it is doable? Thank you
Knapík
Munro compleatist

Munros:39   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:15

Re: Lota Corrie

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 pm

According to my Scrambles in Skye guidebook, you can indeed descend into Lota Coire from Bealach a´Ghlas-choire, and then reach Bealach a´Bhasteir, or Bealach nan Lice, or the col between Bruach na Frithe and Sgurr a Fhionn Choire. It's all (rough) walking, no scrambling required, but don't expect any paths: route finding in poor visibility could be a challenge!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 pm

It is easy to skirt below Am Bhastier to the North (Coire a'Bhaistier side). This is just a walk (no hands-on) and there is a path to follow.

Not sure about descending Lota Coire side.
foggieclimber

Postby dunrig » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 am

"the route to Bealach a' Bhasteir should be avoided as it is steep, bare and loose on the Lota Corrie side" (Ralph Storer). Bealach a'Ghlas-choire to Bealach nan Lice looks doable though the descent would be rough then you could follow the steam (pick correct one) up to back corrie then direct ascent north westwards to Bealach nan Lice - route finding in good weather would be difficult, in bad don't do it. Maybe somebody who has done it could give you a more informed opinion. My advice is just bite on the bullet and use the west ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean otherwise do them separately.
dunrig

Postby Knapík » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 am

Many thanks for the advice. The reason why I am thinking about Lota Corrie way is that we won´t have any ropes and harnnesses without which,I assume, it is impossible to decent via west ridge. The other option I consider is to walk some way back down to Coire Riabhach and from there turn west,cross Allt Dearg Beag and join the path leading into Coire a´Bhasteir.
Knapík
Munro compleatist

Munros:39   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:15

Postby dunrig » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:48 pm

If it is possible to work your way round the bottom of Pinnacle Ridge you can pick up a path above Bhasteir Gorge turn right into corrie & pick up path under Am Bhasteir & out for Bruach Na Frithe. (I have not done this)
I know a bit more about Sgurr nan Gillean's west ridge, it is no place for you unless you are a climber or confident/competent scrambler, having said that I go up & down it without a rope - in descent the difficulty lies at the bottom of the ridge where there is a very exposed step down& around whats left of the Gendarme in order to get to the easiest downclimb a rib to the left(from above) of a chimney - don't bother unless you can climb & cope with exposure.
The safest & most sensible option( all relative in the the Cuillin) is to do them separately by the guidebook routes. Finally on sunny days in may/june it is like sauchiehall street on the ridge with all the guided parties - plenty of good advice 'on site' as it were - enjoy it, take care & I hope the weather is kind to you.
dunrig

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion