walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A softie in the Lomonds

A softie in the Lomonds

Postby raykilhams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Date walked: 17/03/2013

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As we are walking the GGW in a couple of weeks time we thought we would go for a circular stroll in the Lomond Hills on Sunday taking in Bishop Hill , West and East Lomond.
Arrived at car park by Holl Resr with weather looking slightly inclement , grey , drizzly and misty on the hills , so had a muffin ( chocolate chip , just in case any muffin aficionados are reading this) and coffee ( blue mountain) and decided to head up to East Lomond with the intention of then heading across to West Lomond and back to the car over Bishop Hill if the weather improved . Made our way passed the dam end of Holl Resv and took the path/roadway ( boy it was muddy) up the hill through the woods to Balgothrie.Then took the farm road to the main road to Easter Glasslie where we climbed the stile into a field and followed the path , which after half a mile joined up with the main route up to East Lomond. Just before you join the main route there is an old lime kiln with a host of info on the workings in the area ..... definitely worth a look.
DSCF4306.JPG
Holl resv
DSCF4308.JPG
Keeping off the mud
DSCF4309.JPG
More mud
DSCF4322.JPG
Bridge over mud
DSCF4310.JPG
Heading towards Balgothrie
DSCF4311.JPG
East Lomond somewhere over there
DSCF4312.JPG
Road to Balglasslie
DSCF4313.JPG
Crossing field between Balglasslie
DSCF4314.JPG
Lime kiln
DSCF4315.JPG
Lime kiln from front

It was at this point that the weather began to get worse , the light rain turned to sleet and the mist thickened, never mind we just continued on , and within twenty minutes we had reached the top. I have to say that there was enough snow lying to make it a little tricky , we did slip and slide a wee bit.( wot no crampons). Unfortunately couldn't see a thing from the top so after a couple of mins went back down being pelted with sleet which then turned to snow then sleet then rain. Now I enjoy reading other walkers reports about the snow covered Munros they climb in the winter ( and keep them coming lads, the pics are stunning) but I find that personally I like good views when I climb any hill ( not that I don't think snow covered hills look great cause they do,and the lads and girls who go for it have to be commended but we,re all different , have done it in the past when I was a young lad) and although my wife and me have been caught out in the hills in whiteouts( Spittal of Glen Shee) , thick mist( Ben Ledi springs to mind) and torrential ,horizontal rain (Larig Grui mile after mile) , I'm just .a three season man and just stick to lower routes in winter. So with that in mind I decided in view of the weather we would leave West Lomond ( as we're not in training for Everest )and head back through the rain to the car ( oooh I am a softy) where coffee and goodies were waiting. Got back to the car and guess what ? the rain stopped ! Life or what? Oh well maybe I should have just pressed on , after all its not a difficult walk , but hey there's always another day. I'll just go home and read a few reports of hardier walkers with a bit more steel than me ( talking about ice picks and crampons). GOOD WALKING MY FRIENDS , and keep those reports coming.
DSCF4316.JPG
Sleet starting to fall
DSCF4317.JPG
At the top , notice no snow , wind obviously blown it off
DSCF4319.JPG
Heading back with Ballo Resv in front
DSCF4320.JPG
Ballo Resv , mist beginning to lift
DSCF4321.JPG
Nearly back to car.....rain stopped about here

PS her's one for animal lovers.
DSCF4302.JPG
Where did he come from?
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Re: A softie in the Lomonds

Postby gmr82 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 am

Nice report, as you mentioned not the most alluring of weather though! Is the red squirrel just next to the car park? Good spot!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby coachmacca » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

Mist on Ben Ledi - yep been there ;-)

Looks a good walk though , interesting Kilns :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Good idea being a softie, I'm all for that :lol: Pity about the weather but there's always another day when you can enjoy the wonderful views to be had from the tops :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby alvason » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Fine report, very interesting. My mother's family comes from that area so I am always keen to read about it. I liked your pictures a lot.
alvason
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland