walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

most remote habitable building on uk mainland

most remote habitable building on uk mainland

Postby 9queens » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:58 am

Off to Maol Bhuide bothy next weekend again was talking to people at work about it. Suddenly occurred to me that as its Scotland's most remote bothy then it may be the most remote habitable building on the UK mainland.

Comment ??
9queens
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:54
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Re: most remote habitable building on uk mainland

Postby mountainstar » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 am

It probably is, I cannot think of another Bothy which has a longer walk-in from whichever direction.
And in a lovely spot...

mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:10 pm

In Ian Thomson's excellent book, "Isolation Shepherd", he recalls a day when a "fine looking gentleman" in his 70's was waiting in a car at Monar pier and asked Ian if he could take him some way up loch Monar, so that he could see the hills. During the trip, the man told Ian that his father had come to Maol Bhuidhe as a shepherd at the turn of the century (1900). The man was born at Maol Bhuidhe and was one of a family of 12. He had left home and gone on to be the Moderator of the Free Church of Scotland. He had never been back to the area and wanted to see the hills he used to climb as a child for the last time. As Ian Thomson turned the boat back down the loch, the man never looked back. Ian found out that the man ( Mr.Renwick ) had died not long after his trip back to Monar.
It seems incredible that anyone could raise a family of 12 in such a small and isolated home as Maol Bhuidhe.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby gaffr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 pm

I recall reading in the bothy at Maol-bhuidhe around thirty years ago on my one and only visit, so far, for an overnight stay at the bothy after coming over the tops from Achnashellach station much of what the previous poster said regarding the family who once lived in the building. Now whether the family details had been written by the gentleman paying the visit or by the person who took him in by boat or even a third party I cannot say but as far as I remember there was a Canadian connection to the story. Had the family gone, as many Scottish had done, to live in Canada for part of their lives? I guess that in those days that a teacher would need to live with the family during term time in order to educate the children?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm

gaffr wrote:I recall reading in the bothy at Maol-bhuidhe around thirty years ago on my one and only visit, so far, for an overnight stay at the bothy after coming over the tops from Achnashellach station much of what the previous poster said regarding the family who once lived in the building. Now whether the family details had been written by the gentleman paying the visit or by the person who took him in by boat or even a third party I cannot say but as far as I remember there was a Canadian connection to the story. Had the family gone, as many Scottish had done, to live in Canada for part of their lives? I guess that in those days that a teacher would need to live with the family during term time in order to educate the children?

It must have been a 3rd party as the boat only went far enough up the loch for the elderly man to see the hills overlooking Maol Bhuidhe.
It's remarkable that someone born and raised in such a meagre dwelling went on to become to the Free Church of Scotland, the equivalent of the Archbishop of Canterbury in England. Then again, some of Scotlands most famous Gaelic poets came from small crofts.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Motherland Mark » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:41 am

We are heading for maol Bhuide on wednesday, I think it is a serious contender for the remotest Bothy, the other nominee being Ben Alder Cottage. The most remote habitable building on UK mainland I would have to say could be Pait Lodge, it is not a Bothy however.
Motherland Mark
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:30 pm

It's a pretty good contender. The following are in with a shout as well:

-Sourlies (at the head of Loch Nevis)
-Tarff Hotel
-the Garbh Choire and Fords of Avon shelters in the Cairngorms
-Fealar Lodge (if you don't have the keys for the gate).
-Glenkinglass Lodge (ditto with the keys)
-Kinlochreasort, West Lewis (or North Harris, depending which side of the river you are on)
-Mulhagery on te SE tip of the Pairc peninsula (looks like a ruin but it does still have a roof).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:34 pm

may be of interest ? -

The Last Family at Maol Bhuidhe
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby zubby » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:04 pm

I visited Maol Bhuide in the 70s with Alistair Dickson of the MBA and other pals on a work party/walking weekend. From memory a long walk in past Iron Lodge. Not quite so spritely these days but I'd love to re-visit. How far past Killilan can a car be taken?
David H
zubby
Bird-watcher

Postby mgmt! » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:41 pm

lovely bothy, well worth a visit.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 pm

zubby wrote:I visited Maol Bhuide in the 70s with Alistair Dickson of the MBA and other pals on a work party/walking weekend. From memory a long walk in past Iron Lodge. Not quite so spritely these days but I'd love to re-visit. How far past Killilan can a car be taken?
David H

Officially, only to Killilan car park. BIg notices to that effect I think With permission and care you could certainly get it as far as as Carnach and it is cycleable and possibly driveable to Iron Lodge, but you would need permission. No idea who you would get permission from. Did An Cruachan via cycling to Iron Lodge 4 years ago when was only 73. Might think again these days.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby AlisonFox66 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Pairc would surely have the remotest buildings in the UK . As for mainland UK , maybe that remote building on south side of Loch Morar
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Sgurr » Mon May 02, 2016 11:49 am

AlisonFox66 wrote:Pairc would surely have the remotest buildings in the UK . As for mainland UK , maybe that remote building on south side of Loch Morar

Do you mean Meoble? Depends on whether you assess "remote" as on foot, or on water. It is fairly easily reached via one of those speedy Yamaha things that Viv de Fresnes uses to ferry people to the Oban bothy
(Viv de Fresnes(Loch Superintendent)
Telephone: 01687 462 388
Mobile: 0778 743 1962
Email: vivmorar@aol.com )
It took us half an hour when we went to climb An Stac, and would probably only take 20 minutes to Meoble.

However, when we went to climb Meith Beinn on foot, it took for ever to get to Meoble
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby AlisonFox66 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Yes I reckon Meoble wins for remoteness.
I did Meith Bhein, in my younger days when I bagged hills and its kind of scary in that area
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Skottydog » Tue May 03, 2016 1:17 am

Ian Thomson's book 'Isolation Shepherd' is probably one of the books that inspired me to start walking, as one day I'd love to walk around Loch Monar and Strathfarrar. One can barely imagine how isolated the place really became in winter as related in the book, prior to the creation of the hydro electric scheme.
Skottydog
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion