walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It is Nearly April - Isn't It???

It is Nearly April - Isn't It???

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Date walked: 23/03/2013

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 50m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a short walk (and report) borne out of frustration. I was hoping for a good weekend's walking but the weather has put paid to my plans so it looks like Criminal Minds (Series 6) on DVD!!

We live in the country so expect weather problems but to wake up to this in late March is a surprise. Somewhere in there is my road out................

P1010064.jpg
Anybody see the road???

I'm going nowhere in the car so all I can do is have a wander down to the end of the road, here are some pics (the tracks were made by a tractor - the only vehicle that can get anywhere today).

P1010070.jpg
Snow

P1010071.jpg
Snow

P1010072.jpg
Snow

P1010073.jpg
Snow

P1010076.jpg
Snow

P1010077.jpg
Snow

P1010078.jpg
Snow

P1010079.jpg
Snow

P1010080.jpg
Snow

P1010084.jpg
And finally, more snow!

If you're lucky enough to get out to the hills this weekend, stay safe and enjoy yourselves. I just hope things improve so I can get to Arbroath for a curry tonight :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: It is Nearly April - Isn't It???

Postby mrssanta » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:29 pm

spring is definitely on its way. It better be as we have our first trip north of the border since August coming up next week and I definitely don't want blizzards and gales. So there :roll:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby raykilhams » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Gordie,
Bit like us frustrated at not beening able to get out , we stay in Forfar and drove down to the Lomond Hills last weekend , the weather beat us and only able to walk about 12km , trying to build up a bit of stamia as we are off to do GGW Sunday week ( as noted on Hello site). Liked your pics of er...... snow , hope it goes soon. :crazy:
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:24 am

mrssanta wrote:spring is definitely on its way. It better be as we have our first trip north of the border since August coming up next week and I definitely don't want blizzards and gales. So there :roll:

Thanks for letting me know about Spring's arrival mrssanta, I'm looking out my shorts, shades and short sleeved top for next weekend :lol:

Enjoy your trip north.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 am

raykilhams wrote:Hi Gordie,
Bit like us frustrated at not beening able to get out , we stay in Forfar and drove down to the Lomond Hills last weekend , the weather beat us and only able to walk about 12km , trying to build up a bit of stamia as we are off to do GGW Sunday week ( as noted on Hello site). Liked your pics of er...... snow , hope it goes soon. :crazy:

Hi Ray

I keep telling Andrea that at this time of the year it will only take one mild day for all the snow to disappear but she seems to just be ignoring me now :lol:

I look forward to your report on the GGW (if your doing one that is).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Gordie, do you stay anywhere near the back of Crombie on the Forfar/Carnoustie Road by any chance? I had a club meet at the Bunkhouse at Roybridge this weekend and managed one wee Graham, having nearly been blown off :crazy: , report to follow, the Laggan Road, clear, Drumochter, nae bother, 5miles from Carnoustie from the Kirkbuddo crossing, sign saying road closed SNOW with banks of snow 1.5m high, made it home fine! That was some weekend! :roll:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:11 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gordie, do you stay anywhere near the back of Crombie on the Forfar/Carnoustie Road by any chance? I had a club meet at the Bunkhouse at Roybridge this weekend and managed one wee Graham, having nearly been blown off :crazy: , report to follow, the Laggan Road, clear, Drumochter, nae bother, 5miles from Carnoustie from the Kirkbuddo crossing, sign saying road closed SNOW with banks of snow 1.5m high, made it home fine! That was some weekend! :roll:

Hi Rod

Glad to hear you managed a hill this weekend - look forward to the report.

We're not far from Kirkbuddo (2/3 miles) but we are down a dead end road that leads to a farm and two or three houses so it is very low priority for the council. We're off the Letham - Arbroath road so it's usually just a question of whether or not we can make it to this road and then we should be OK (except for friday when I tried to get to the gym at silly AM and found the Forfar - Carnoustie and Letham - Dundee roads both closed by the Poilce at Burnside of Tulloes due to drifting).

We were able to get on to the Arbroath road last night so we managed to get our curry, Arbroath was a green oasis, amazing the difference in conditions 7 miles apart. :? :?
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:20 pm

I know what you mean, I used to work in Forfar and had a dailly trip there so am very much aware that it's a different world just 300m up from Carnoustie and Arbroath. I did not chance going that way on the Friday went via Perth rather than my normal Kirkbuddo Coupar Angus Dunkeld route but I thought it would be all clear coming back today, but no. I guess it's the wind blowing the snow off the fields again as there does not appear to be much new snow. Glad you had a good curry, I made do with a tin of curry and boil in the bag rice last night at the bunkhouse after all my efforts on the hill, well pleased I managed it :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:34 pm

I had the same problem the past 2 days...could not even get my car out of the road were I live...the council finally decided to grit the road, after all the neighbours ended up clearing it by hand...mental...I need sun!

Great photos by the way!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Mountainlove wrote:I had the same problem the past 2 days...could not even get my car out of the road were I live...the council finally decided to grit the road, after all the neighbours ended up clearing it by hand...mental...I need sun!

Great photos by the way!!

Hi Mountainlove

Sounds like your part of the world has had a tough few days with the weather as well.

Can I request sun but with a bit of heat as well :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby raykilhams » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
raykilhams wrote:Hi Gordie,

I look forward to your report on the GGW (if your doing one that is).

Will try and get report out in a couple of weeks , with a few pics (hopefully)
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
Enjoy your trip north.

thanks we certainly will, hope the A66 is open again by then!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby denfinella » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:55 pm

We spent Saturday on the coast near Arbroath, and drove north on the B9126 then the B961 to meet the A-road at Friockheim on the way back to Aberdeen.

In the space of about ten seconds, the landscape went from being snowless at 100m ASL to being covered at 150m, with banks of snow higher than our car on the side of the road and some fairly deep drifts forming where the wind could get between gaps in the fence. Amazing what the wind can do, as there was only about 1cm of level snow in the fields around. The side tracks to farms were still completely snowed in, so I can imagine your situation and the frustration!

Hope you can escape soon!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 pm

As pretty as it looks that must be a nightmare! Here in the Stirling area we seem to avoided the worst of it this winter.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 pm

denfinella wrote:We spent Saturday on the coast near Arbroath, and drove north on the B9126 then the B961 to meet the A-road at Friockheim on the way back to Aberdeen.

In the space of about ten seconds, the landscape went from being snowless at 100m ASL to being covered at 150m, with banks of snow higher than our car on the side of the road and some fairly deep drifts forming where the wind could get between gaps in the fence. Amazing what the wind can do, as there was only about 1cm of level snow in the fields around. The side tracks to farms were still completely snowed in, so I can imagine your situation and the frustration!

Hope you can escape soon!

Yip, it was amazing. We got out early on saturday night as the farmer cleared the road. We headed in to Arbroath and while we knew there wouldn't be the same amount of snow, we thought there would be some!!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland