walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Snow/road info in the Moffat area in the Borders needed

Snow/road info in the Moffat area in the Borders needed

Postby mountainstar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 am

Can anyone give me some snow/road updates around the Moffat area in the Borders?
I'm hoping to get to some Bothy's in the next few days (Wed 27th to Sat 30th March), but will I be able to get my car near to the parking spots?
Some of my options....
1. For Over Phawhope at NT 182 082, the road that runs down the Ettrick Valley to NT 189 093
2. For Gameshope at NT 135 185, down the B road to east end of Talla reservoir from A701.
3. For Burlywhag at NS 971 001, one of the minor roads from near Thornhill.
4. For Kettleton Byre at NS 912 020, from Durisdeer of the A702.
Generally, how deep is the snow in this area?
Thanks Alan.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Re: Snow/road info in the Moffat area in the Borders needed

Postby gmr82 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Don't have any answers but also very keen to know so will give this a bump! From my own fairly limited knowledge of this area I had already chosen a walk from Talla out of any in the current weather (I've imminent walks planned in the other areas you mention too), just due to its close proximity to an A road. The others seems to have a bit more B or minor road driving. Actually hoping to head to Talla this weekend if I do head south so I'd also be really grateful for any local knowledge
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby orion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:22 am

Over Phawhope was badly vandalised a few weeks ago :(
orion

Postby Tinto63 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 am

I've no idea of the amount of snow on the roads you mention, but from the road surface point of view, the back road from Thornhill past Mitchellslacks (parking for Queensberry, Burleywhag etc.) was really bad when I was there in mid- February. Lots of large potholes that you could not avoid, especially on the section from Townhead to Mitchellslacks. Certainly the worst section of road I've driven for a long time.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby mountainstar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 pm

orion wrote:Over Phawhope was badly vandalised a few weeks ago :(

That's bad news, We are off their on Friday night as well.
Decided on not doing Burleywhag as that is the most likely bad road, snow wise anyway.
That's me...I'm hitting the road.
Thanks to all.
mountainstar
Walker

Postby joekell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:55 pm

white comb is a great corbet even just to see loch skeen and the greymares tail and right on main route from moffat to selkirk so should be clear although local info may be required.
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby mountainstar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Just back from Talla Res. I had to park halfway down the Loch by a bridge due to drifts of snow across the road, I could not see how far they go at that point, so left the car there and walked the rest of the way. They ended after about 100m if you took a chance you could get through (no problem with a 4x4) Then you could get to the farm at the end of the Loch. The road over the pass is definitely inpassable.
mountainstar
Walker

Postby meangarry » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 pm

I know its a bit late, and I'm disappointed I didn't spot this sooner, but I was up White Coomb yesterday. The road from Moffat to the nt car park at the grey mares tail was fine. We really haven't had a huge amount of snow in the town. The waterfall and loch are both frozen. :D Super cool! :D :D

Also gutted to hear about Over Phawhope :( , I often pop in when out that way. I look forward to a wee mountainstar update on the bothy.

gmr82 wrote: Actually hoping to head to Talla this weekend if I do head south so I'd also be really grateful for any local knowledge

Don't plan anything too long, the drifts and general depth of snow will slow your pace right down unless you have snowshoes! I'll quickly do a report from my walk yesterday so you can see.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby mountainstar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Back from OP bothy, glad to report that there was no sign of vandalism and it was clean and tidy. I will do a TR on the 3 Bothys visited when I get home next week.
mountainstar
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion