walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

A question about gps

A question about gps

Postby Scott69 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi folks, I am thinking of buying the new Garmin etrex 30 for doing the Cape Wrath trail later this year and then also using it for general hillwaking afterwards.I can find one for a decent enough price but I was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly how much it costs to download maps?

Cheers in advance.
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

Re: A question about gps

Postby scoob999 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Birds eye imagery is £20 for 600sq Km Although i haven't tried it myself yet :?
The topo map for Scotland is £70-£80 on Amazon i think and is good although it's not as good as the OS maps
I dont find it as user friendly as the older model, but i'm getting used to it now. It has good memory to hold lots of routes ect 8)
There is also a free contour map you can download (usefull) cant remember what site though?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby boabness » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 pm

you can use them on it.
http://talkytoaster.co.uk/ukmaps.htm
good maps and updated all the time,and best thing there free.
boabness
Hill Bagger

Postby coachmacca » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am

scoob999 wrote:Birds eye imagery is £20 for 600sq Km Although i haven't tried it myself yet :?
The topo map for Scotland is £70-£80 on Amazon i think and is good although it's not as good as the OS maps
I dont find it as user friendly as the older model, but i'm getting used to it now. It has good memory to hold lots of routes ect 8)
There is also a free contour map you can download (usefull) cant remember what site though?

As mentioned you get 800KM sq of Birsdey Mapping for £20 and then just download the OS images as you need them - you put a GPX file in and you can then create the "birdseye" image from that so you only need around 20km sq each time (or less)

Actually pretty good value I find.. im only about half way through my first 800 sq m and have LOTS of maps :)
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk