walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

closed cell foam or self inflating mat

closed cell foam or self inflating mat

Postby hailiamdigby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Pretty self-explanatory title but the question is which would you recommend?
The way I see it, a foam mat seems a little bulky for a couple of days' hike but a self-inflating mat might develop punctures before long? Or, are punctures rare? Obviously, I have no intention of sleeping on jagged rocks but a stick from some heather might do it?
Advice from past experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Re: closed cell foam or self inflating mat

Postby Rogue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:06 am

Personally, there's no contest for me, inflatable every time.
I've (touch wood) never had a puncture in a mat, and am far more concerned about holing the groundsheet of my tent. The modern materials are more resilient than you would imagine, but cack-handed abuse will obviously give problems.
Self inflating mats do at least offer some foam support in the event of a puncture, but my supposedly puncture-prone Neoair has never been a problem.
Rogue
Munro compleatist

Munros:80   

Postby hailiamdigby » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 am

Thank you very much :D
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 pm

I prefer an inflatable to sleep on and the popular models are fairly puncture resistant. If you take a repair kit you should be fine.

Sometimes I take both, a CCF mat can come in handy when winter camping for use in the porch or you can pop it under the ground sheet for improved insulation or to protect the groundsheet from sharp stuff.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Rudolph » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Michael Thomson wrote:

Sometimes I take both, a CCF mat can come in handy when winter camping for use in the porch or you can pop it under the ground sheet for improved insulation or to protect the groundsheet from sharp stuff.

I'd always take both.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Matt25 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Another vote for both. I have a Thermarest closed cell matt called a ridgerest which is actually quite comfy on its own and (outside winter when I use a full length) combine it with a 3/4 length Thermarest Ultralite mat which I have had for er... jeez, 15 years. It has been punctured twice in that time (once by a burning flying match head!) and the first repair (done in 2003) is still going strong. So, in summary, I guess I'm saying they can be pretty durable!

Matt :)
Matt25
Munro compleatist

Postby Matt25 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:49 pm

PS - My first full length mat was an Alpkit job, which was returned with a faulty valve and replaced with another. Which also leaked. I threw it in the bin and bought another Thermarest.

I'm not saying all cheap mats, or even all Alpkit mats, are rubbish. One man's experience is a very narrow part of the whole picture. But my experience suggests you get what you pay for.

Oh, and a ridge-rest/inflatable mat combo is as as close as dammit to sleeping on a bed!

:)
Matt25
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk