walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Welcome to my World (for the next 6 weeks)

Welcome to my World (for the next 6 weeks)

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Date walked: 29/03/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 35.3 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Suddenly there are only 42 sleeps left before I set off on a long distance walk :shock: :shock: :shock:

This winter I've really enjoyed the Sub 2000's of Perthshire and Angus, I've done my first walk in The Ochils, I've even done a Sub 2000 in Eberdeenshire. It's all been good fun following in the footsteps of the likes of The Rodmeister and GraemeD amongst others but on checking my stats for the last 3 years (yes I really am that sad) I've suddenly realised that I'm way down on my mileage and I really need to step things up so it's time to head for the tracks to the north of Dunkeld.

This walk is the one I will use for the next few weeks and I'll try to get here twice a week (Fri - Sun) if the weather is half decent.

I've done this walk so many times but I never get bored of it although today was tougher than any other time I've done it.

Setting off at 8.15am from the Cally Car Park it was fairly cold, just my car in the car park so first out, I get to see all the deer and scare them off to the higher ground.

The first part of the walk is signed to Loch Ordie and at times can be really busy but friday is usually a good quiet day and at 8.15 there is nobody about.

Track 1.jpg
Track to the north of Hatton

After about 30 minutes Mill Dam is reached and it has it's usual thin crust of ice on it.

Mill Dam 2.jpg
Mill Dam

There are 3 lochs in quick succession now with Rotmell Loch and Dowally Loch following on from Mill Dam.

Loch 3.jpg
Rotmell Loch

Loch 4.jpg
No fishing today

Loch 5.jpg
Dowally Loch

At Raor Lodge some residents seemed happy to get their photo taken.

Ducks 6.jpg
I think they were waiting for breakfast

From Raor Lodge to the far end of Loch Ordie (bridge at north end) takes about 40 minutes.

Loch Ordie 7.jpg
Loch Ordie

Leaving Loch Ordie behind and heading north towards Kirkmichael the track narrows a little and there is noticeably more snow around. The frozen ground with snow on top means the usual boggy bits are easily passed and it doesn't take long to leave the trees behind and get out on to the open moorland.

I have so many photos of this ruin but I can't pass it without taking more.

Ruin 8.jpg
Ruin

The track continues to gradually climb and the snow is getting deeper. At times the track disappears under fairly deep drifts (deeper than I was expecting).

Track 9.jpg
Track (now under a foot of snow)

Track 10.jpg
Drifts

Arriving at Lochan Oisinneach Mor the loch was frozen over with a layer of snow on top.

Loch 11.jpg
Lochan Oisinneach Mor

Walking was now really difficult, along the side of the loch the track was under close to 2 feet of snow and my pace slowed as it became a bit of a grind to reach the point where I would leave the Kirkmichael track.

Track 12.jpg
A disappearing sign

I'm now heading for Ballinluig although I know the next mile will be difficult till I get to a field where hopefully on lower ground there will be less drifts to negotiate.

Track 13.jpg
Looking back towards Lochan Oisinneach Mor

Track 14.jpg
Gate in to field

Hills 15.jpg
Looking north towards the Pitlochry area

Once in to the field the path disappears but it's just a case of heading down the right hand side keeping within about 30 yards of the fence. Normally this is a boggy area but today it was no problem. At the bottom of the field, cross the bridge and pick up a track heading south west.

Track 16.jpg
Bridge at bottom of field

I'm now on lower ground so the walking is easier and whilst the track is fairly muddy there is a lot less snow around.

Sometimes I look at houses and I think they have to be haunted :shock: :shock: . This place (Tulliemet House) always looks very imposing and on high ground overlooking the valley it seems to dominate the area and for some reason I've decided it's haunted.

House 18.jpg
Tulliemet House

After Tulliemet House there is a small section of tarmac before reaching the Y junction on the next photo. I met a farmer here a couple of years ago and he told me that the left fork had to be used by workmen and staff going to Tulliemet House wihile the family and guests would use the right fork. I know my place, I take the left fork.

Track 18.jpg
Y Junction

The track goes throgh a farmyard before linking up with the Guay - Ballinluig road at Balnamoan. The next 2-3 miles are along the Guay road but it's really quiet and you would be unlucky to see more than a couple of cars.

Road 19.jpg
Guay road

Every effort was made to get this guy to look at me for the photo but he just wasn't having it (normally he comes over to see me but not today).

Horse 20.jpg

At the end of a long straight and just after a house on the left I link up with the Dunkeld track (through a gate on the left of the road just beyond the house). A mile along the track I always stop for a couple of minutes to take in the view looking north towards Pitlochry.

Track 21.jpg
Looking north towards Pitlochry

The track now runs parallel with the A9 but is a couple of hundred feet up and half a mile away. At Rotmell Farm I met up with my first lambs of the year...............they must be cold in this weather.

Lambs 22.jpg

Beyond Rotmell Farm the track starts to climb gradually.

Track 23.jpg
Dunkeld side of Rotmell Farm

At the junction in the next pic I head left towards Mill Dam rather than Dunkeld and this is the final climb of the day and whilst it's nothing major I've now covered around 18 miles so the legs are starting to tire and more so today because of the harder going with the snow.

Track 24.jpg
Turning left for Mill Dam

Back on higher ground there's a bit of snow on the track but nothing like earlier on so fairly easy walking through a wood and down to link up with the Dunkeld - Loch Ordie track at Mill Dam.

One final pick of Mill Dam before the last half hour of easy walking down the track to Cally Car Park.

Mill Dam 25.jpg
Mill Dam

Halfway between Mill Dam and the car park I met a couple out walking their dog, the first people I saw all day and that's really unusual on these tracks.

So, this is my world for the next few weeks, hopefully the snow around Lochan Oisinneach Mor will melt soon and things will get a bit easier in the weeks to come.

I'm knackered tonight...............but it's a good knackered :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Welcome to my World (for the next 6 weeks)

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 am

Hi there Gordie, that was a timely post, it shows me maybe to hold off doing Creig nam Miai for a bit longer, because of the depth of snow, I thought about combining with Deuchary Hill which I did many years ago. It's a great area as far as can remember and as I can see by your photographs, lots to see. Tulliemet house looks interesting is it occupied? That's a lovely shire horse :D and wow, lambs already, that's early up here is it not. Good luck with your tramping :) may bump into you sometime soon. Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi there Gordie, that was a timely post, it shows me maybe to hold off doing Creig nam Miai for a bit longer, because of the depth of snow, I thought about combining with Deuchary Hill which I did many years ago. It's a great area as far as can remember and as I can see by your photographs, lots to see. Tulliemet house looks interesting is it occupied? That's a lovely shire horse :D and wow, lambs already, that's early up here is it not. Good luck with your tramping :) may bump into you sometime soon. Rod

Hi Rod

Those two hills together would make a fine day.

I was expecting a bit of snow on the track but it was surprising how much there was around Lochan Oisinneach Mor which is fairly close to Creag nam Mial so it might be worth giving it a week or two (assuming we switch from winter to spring sometime soon?).

If you haven't been in the area for a while you might get a surprise about how busy it can be (if you go at the weekend). Every two or three months Dunkeld - Loch Ordie appears in one or other of the weekend papers as "Walk of the Week" which seems to add a few more cars to the already full car park. I'm lucky in that I work Mon - Thur so Friday is always a good day for me to head there.

In all the times I've walked past Tulliemet House I've never seen any sign of life but it looks like it's occupied (by more than just the ghost).

I was surprised to see the lambs but then again it's nearly April so I shouldn't have been (probably the snow on the ground has fuddled my brain into thinking it's still February). There was no sign of mum and when they saw me they came right up to the fence rather than heading for the safety of the other sheep further into the field - maybe they like having their photo taken.

As you can probably tell from the length of this response I'm bored today. Decided to give the legs a break and head off again tomorrow but now I'm just staring out the window annoying Andrea by telling her how nice a day it is for a walk (She's heard it all before!).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:50 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi there Gordie, that was a timely post, it shows me maybe to hold off doing Creig nam Miai for a bit longer, because of the depth of snow, I thought about combining with Deuchary Hill which I did many years ago.

Yep I'd say definitely combine with Deuchary Hill, from the reports I've seen Lochan na Bienne looks stunning. Was going to do this early December but realised I didn't have the map. Thought about it again last weekend but like you, the thought of the final kilometre to Creig nam Mial's summit - heather bashing in deep snow persuaded me to hold off too

Gordie12 wrote:I'm just staring out the window annoying Andrea by telling her how nice a day it is for a walk (She's heard it all before!).

So you can finally get out of the drive way then :wink:
I was about to reply 'ignore the tired legs and get out there', but it looks a cracking forecast tomorrow too
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi gmr82

Snow update..............

P1010145.jpg
Road Update - As at 11.45AM

As is the norm, snowbound at the weekend but come monday, I can get to work :( :( :(

I did Creag nam Mial late last year without the snow, I wouldn't fancy it much just now.

Hope you get out tomorrow - Dunkeld for me again!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Hi there Gordie, that was a timely post, it shows me maybe to hold off doing Creig nam Miai for a bit longer, because of the depth of snow, I thought about combining with Deuchary Hill which I did many years ago. It's a great area as far as can remember and as I can see by your photographs, lots to see. Tulliemet house looks interesting is it occupied? That's a lovely shire horse :D and wow, lambs already, that's early up here is it not. Good luck with your tramping :) may bump into you sometime soon. Rod

Hi Rod

Those two hills together would make a fine day.

I was expecting a bit of snow on the track but it was surprising how much there was around Lochan Oisinneach Mor which is fairly close to Creag nam Mial so it might be worth giving it a week or two (assuming we switch from winter to spring sometime soon?).

If you haven't been in the area for a while you might get a surprise about how busy it can be (if you go at the weekend). Every two or three months Dunkeld - Loch Ordie appears in one or other of the weekend papers as "Walk of the Week" which seems to add a few more cars to the already full car park. I'm lucky in that I work Mon - Thur so Friday is always a good day for me to head there.

In all the times I've walked past Tulliemet House I've never seen any sign of life but it looks like it's occupied (by more than just the ghost).

I was surprised to see the lambs but then again it's nearly April so I shouldn't have been (probably the snow on the ground has fuddled my brain into thinking it's still February). There was no sign of mum and when they saw me they came right up to the fence rather than heading for the safety of the other sheep further into the field - maybe they like having their photo taken.

As you can probably tell from the length of this response I'm bored today. Decided to give the legs a break and head off again tomorrow but now I'm just staring out the window annoying Andrea by telling her how nice a day it is for a walk (She's heard it all before!).

Hi Gordie, thank's for that info, I will wait as you suggest. I was up the Lomonds today hoping to include Bishop Hill, but the depth of the snow and distance over tussucky ground between BH and the car park at Batties Den put me right off :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland