walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Damhain - far from the maddies

Beinn Damhain - far from the maddies

Postby kevsbald » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:42 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Damhain

Date walked: 29/03/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A quick morning bimble, stolen and away from the silica gleam along the A82. I parked beside the farm and allowed the mad dies to continue. As it was, I had the hill to myself and it was bliss. The walk along the land rover track is quite uncomplicated but does pass under some rather ugly electric infrastructure. Once past the dam, I jumped over the streambed, which was unsurprisingly frozen. The ascent on to Damhain is easy and you emerge on to a plateau at about 520m, with a beautiful lochain stretching before you, and over to Ben Vorlich. I would come back and take some photos here - it would also be a wonderful spot in summer to have a wild camp at night. The climb on to Damhain itself was pleasant enough though the final ascent on to the summit was a little tricky unless you keep to the South of the mountain. Once on to the summit area, the views are remarkable and expansive - the Paps of Jura, Beinn Bhuidhe, Stob Binnein et al. For such a close proximity to the A82, it feels extremely isolated. The descent back to the lochain was uncomplicated and not un-technical due to the awkward conditions underfoot. I stayed a while and enjoyed the peace and solitude. A real gem of a hill in Winter conditions.
wh1.jpg
Looking over to Meall an Fhudair
wh2.jpg
Summit view to Beinn Ime et al
wh3.jpg
Looking down to the Lochain and beyond
wh4.jpg
Across to Beinn Bhuidhe
wh5.jpg
Lochain contemplation 1
wh6.jpg
Lochain contemplation 2
wh7.jpg
Lochain contemplation encore
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn Damhain - far from the maddies

Postby Lenore » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm

Lovely, Kev. I like the idea of it being a good wild camp spot, though camping next to a loch would require lots of wind or it might lead to sudden onset midge-madness syndrome!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Glorious! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby grantrobertson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Lovely report on the kind of hill I like to find myself on. Stunning conditions!
grantrobertson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:100
Fionas:33   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:40   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Nice. Looks a lot differant from when i did it along with it's neighbour, the Corbett. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland