walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Weirs for river crossings?

Weirs for river crossings?

Postby floma » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi there!
I am planning a route through remote Scotland and would need help by someone familiar with OS map symbols and how things look like in reality: Are "weirs" suitable for river crossings? I have crossed rivers on weirs in the Alps but I have no idea what Scottish weirs look like.
Are a) all or b) no or c) some of the Weirs in Scotland good crossing points for rivers and streams?
As an example on my route I can mention the two weirs in the upper River Oykel at NC 309182 and NC 311183.

Thank you for any helpful comment!

floma
floma

Re: Weirs for river crossings?

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi there,

In general weirs are not reliable crossing points: you might be faced with something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/craigjump/3247100535/lightbox/ !

The features at the grid references you mention aren't weirs, though, they are waterfalls: the same symbol is used for both, but there is normally text (weir in black or falls/waterfall in blue) next to the symbol.

Hope that helps: have a great time in Scotland!

Mark.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:49 pm

I don't think those wee lines represent weirs at those locations. they probably just represent where there are small waterfalls. You shouldn't have much difficulty in general crossing streams that are represented by single thin blue lines on the map, but when you start getting to two lines and some pale blue in between you might have more of a problem.
A weir would generally be marked by a label saying "weir" but most I would guess would not be particularly good crossing points, unless there is a bridge also. This might jst be two wee lines across the blue line, or be labelled FB for footbridge
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby floma » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Thank you both of you for your answers!
floma
floma

Postby Circles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Cracking jmarkb... :clap:
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion