walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bothy adventures in an arctic Southern Scotland.

Postby mountainstar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Date walked: 27/03/2013

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the massive dump of snow that fell during the days after the 21st March, which curtailed our trip to White Laggan Bothy and Newton Stewart (YH) that weekend, thankfully my disappointment was short lived as I found myself heading north again.
A spot of good fortune meant that with my regular days off and the Easter bank holidays I had 7 days off :D
After getting advice on road and snow conditions on Talk Highlands the plan of stopping in three Bothy's in Southern Scotland was on the cards, none of which I had been to before.
After roughing it for 3 nights I would head back over the border to Carlisle, where we had a Hotel booked for the night (I would be meeting up with the wife who was coming up on the train) After the luxuries of the Hotel it was back north to Newton Stewart for a rearranged stopover in the YH.

Wed 27th.
Kettleton Byre from Durisdeer.
Weather. Sunny spells, very cold, snow during the evening.
I reckoned that this would be the best Bothy to start my trip into the arctic wilds of Southern Scotland, because out of the 4 Bothy’s I had in mind, this was the best one to judge the conditions that I would encounter in the following few days, it is the closest to a main road and the walk to it just was just 1.5miles.
As I drove nearer to Durisdeer all of the roads were clear, although drifts of around 5ft had been ploughed through on the minor road that leads to the village.

I was off walking by 4.25pm a little daunted by the depth of snow that confronted me at the start of the track, this could be hard work I thought.

At least it was fairly firm and others had walked over it before me, and after a few hundred meters the going got easier where the wind had swept the snow elsewhere.

I reached the Bothy in around 50minutes, outside was discarded wood probably left from a work-party and lots more cut ready inside, so along with my bag of coal I was going to have a cozy night by the fire.

It snowed lightly during the evening as I spent a nice night by the fire.

A full moon during a clearing of the cloud.

Thurs 28th
Weather. Mainly sunny, very cold.
I managed to keep the fire going during the night (due to paying the usual visit’s outside for the call of nature) so awoke to a warming fire in the morning.

Morning and the bonus of a fire still going.

Outside the sun was shining and the sky blue…. time to amble up the hill behind me.

An estate track wound its way up most of the way, most of the time it was hard work with around 1ft of snow covering it. Once the track stopped I made a beeline for the summit again though deep snow.

View from Glenleith Fell

I reached the summit in 1hr, dropping back was a quicker affair, a direct route got me back to the Bothy in 15mins.

Leaving the Bothy.

I was back to the village by noon.
I then drove east, stopping at Moffat en route for an hour or so, then drove to Talla reservoir. Again the roads were clear until I had driven half way along the reservoir, where some deep snow had drifted across the road, some vehicles had got through (must have been a 4x4), so I tried to drive through the first drift….mistake! The banking of the drift pushed the car towards the iron fencing, and the way though the next section looked worse and furthermore I could not see ahead to know how long the drifting was or bad it would carry on along the remaining stretch of road, so I reversed…3 times before I got back out of the drift. So there was no other option but to park up here and walk the extra mile or so along the road.

Gameshope from Talla reservoir. 2.6m.
Weather, Sunny spells, very cold.

The drifting snow across the road.

After about 100m of walking I was out of the drifted snow and back on tarmac until I reached the farm at the south end of the reservoir, where the snow had settled again.

After the farm a road goes uphill over a high pass, not that you could see it today….

Somewhere by the fence is a road.

I left the road after the farm to walk up the snowy glen. A good track leads to the Bothy.
Part way up I found a 6ft plank of wood, which added to the coal which I was carrying would come in handy for the Bothy fire later I thought, so this was carried awkwardly up for the remaining half-mile.

A river has to be crossed to get to the Bothy, a little tricky as it was mainly ice.
As I approached the Bothy I must report that I saved a sheep, as I found a fat (pregnant I think) sheep on its side with flapping legs several inches above the ground not able to get any purchase, I don’t know how long she had been stuck in this position, but I gave her a quick tug of her fleece and she was up and away looking no worse for the experience.
The sun had already deserted the freezing glen, so I was looking forward to another nice night by the Bothy fire.
Once inside I scanned the room, did a double take…and a further swift 3rd glance around…my stomach sank…NO STOVE!!! :shock: :crazy: :?
I should have done my homework and checked the Bothy notes on the MBA website…Dunce!
When entering my notes into the Bothy book later I commented that I was not sure if I should write notes or 100 lines!
Not a time to cry over spilled milk I thought….After all I’m a tough mountaineer …. I’ve camped in temperatures of -15C, much colder than this would be….It’s character building ….think positive….it was still good to be here, all these thoughts went through my head, and actually it was fine, after hot soup and a meal I got into my sleeping bag as the light faded and had a cosy warm night. If fact I slept very well from 10pm until 9.30am.

A good hot meal.

As cosy as it got!

Moonlight.

Friday 29th
Weather. Mainly sunny, very cold.
As these walks to and from Bothy’s are fairly short there was no need to hurry in the morning, so the lie in was very welcome.

Leaving the Bothy

Leaving the Bothy

Back down by the Loch.

Another drive and stop through Moffat, here I found that my mate Alan Ross would not be joining me tonight as his wife had the flu (She is not a tough mountaineer!)
So off again on my lonesome to the Ettrick Valley for my 3rd Bothy night.

Over Phawhope Bothy from the Ettrick Valley. 1m.
Weather, Mainly sunny, very cold.
This was just about the shortest and easiest walk in of the 3 Bothy’s.
A good track leads past a deserted farm to the Bothy (20mins) by a bridge over a river, a lovely spot fro some photo’s…

Start of walk.

Once inside I was pleased to see that it was all clean and tidy, as someone had posted on the forum that it had been vandalised just a week ago, anyway if it had, someone had been in to clean it up.

A grand fireplace.

Happy again by the fire.

It was looking as if I was going to spend the night by myself again, but just as darkness was falling at 7.30pm, 2 men arrived, Charlie and Dave, who announced that they were going sea fishing that night! A bit of a strange plan I thought as they explained how their evening would unfold….
They had left Dalkeith, south of Edinburgh to travel to the Bothy that evening, have a meal and a few cans before getting their heads down for a few hour’s, walk back out then a 1.5hr drive to start fishing for sea bass by a Power station on the east coast at the high tide of 3.30am. Bizarre! :crazy:
Apart from their plan they were quite sane and good company.
At 10pm they pulled on their sleeping bags staying seated on the chairs and dozed off. I stayed by the fire in silence until I departed to the other room at 11.20pm. I heard them packing in the early hours, but otherwise slept well though the freezing night.

Sat 30th
Weather, mainly sunny and very cold again.

A cold night.

I was up at 8am, after breakfast and packing it was time for more pictures before I left….

Back at the car by 9.30am….

Then it was time to head to Carlisle for a night of luxury in a Hotel, where I was meeting my wife who was travelling up from Wales on the train for the rest of the Easter weekend.

Sun 31st.
A walk from Craigcallie House to Loch Trool, via White Laggen Bothy.
(And the tale of the tortoise and the hare!)

Weather. Mainly cloudy, and still very cold.
We drove back north leaving a sunny Carlisle, but it became more cloudy as we headed west.
A minor road leads from Clatteringshaws Loch, increasingly snowy as we neared the lodge. Ele decided not to walk today so she would drive around to Loch Trool to meet me later.
The track through the forest was deep with snow, there were some footprints for me to ease the way.

About halfway to the Bothy two all terrain buggy’s passed me making my walking easier, until after several hundred meters later I caught them up as they struggled up through the deep drifts, their undercarriage getting beached on the snow. I chatted to the 4 guys, they were heading for a night in the Bothy…eventually lol.

Stuck!

I continued ahead of them, after a short time I heard them approaching me again, turned around to see the driver fly through the air as the buggy hit another drift leaving him spread-eagled in the snow! Laughter followed, so he was uninjured, I continued to the Bothy to check it out, another I had not been to before, there was lots of wood by the track and inside…oh I wished I was stopping there that night. :(

Swans footprints near the Bothy.

After a break of around 20mins I left to pass the 4 guys now within spitting distance of the Bothy, but struggling to make any headway in the deep snow for the remaining 100mts. I quipped about the tale of the tortoise and the hare, as I left them still standing around and wondering if they could get any nearer to the Bothy. :lol:

Short video of the Buggy getting stuck...
http://youtu.be/p9IZM7oAi84

The walk west now was somewhat easier, the snow not so deep and drifted and also now mainly down hill.

Loch Dee

Loch Dee panorama.

Looking back up the track.

Loch Trool.

Loch Trool panorama.

So back at Loch Trool and the end of my Bothy extravaganza, one I thoroughly enjoyed the snow and cold actually making it more enjoyable in a strange type of way. :D
Just one more night in Newton Steward before we left for home….

Newton Steward at dusk.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Re: Bothy adventures in an arctic Southern Scotland.

Postby kevsbald » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Brilliant. From an Aberdonian to a Welshman, you saved the sheep. I need say no more. Good man. :clap:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Nice report oldboy.

Weather looked fab.

Do you carry that chair around with you :lol: ?

Alan Bellis - Faster than 4 wheels 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Great adventure, Alan, and glad you were able to get there :D
Could be a lamb called mountainstar somewhere :lol:
Some beautiful photos :thumbup:
At least all this snow and ice with the blue skies makes for great photos :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby jonny616 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Wonderful stuff. I may have cried at the no stove moment :lol: :lol:

It has been as still is a tad chilli 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Great stuff Alan :clap:
So gutted I could not be part of that
Really enjoyed the report though
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby malky_c » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Great stuff. Must make use of some of these when I eventually do the rest of the Southern Uplands Corbetts and Grahams. The funny thing is, apart from the freezing temperatures, we haven't had any of this arctic nonsense in Inverness. It has been a bit disappointing actually :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Bod » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Well mountainstar great bothy stories, well done! This year could see a return of bothy nights for me :D :D :wink:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Essan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Thks Alan - good to read the story that went with some of the pictures I'd already seen - and nice to see all the bothies in good shape.

As for Gameshope - no comment :lol:
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby mountainstar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks to all for your comments. :D
kevsbald, She did look somewhat worried when she saw a Welshman coming her way :shock: (And I have heard you Aberdeenian's have the same reputation as us Welsh :crazy: )

dooterbang, Yes, and I am now sitting in it at home :D

Susie,
Could be a lamb called mountainstar somewhere

Yes named after her hero...NOT the father! :shock:

jonny616,
I may have cried at the no stove moment
I had icicles running down my face! :(

Scotjamie, Yes, wished you were there :(

malky_c,
Must make use of some of these when I eventually do the rest of the Southern Uplands Corbetts and Grahams.
You'll probable do them in 1 day!

Bod, I hope I inspire you to do more :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby gaffr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 am

Have not visited any of these bothies...thank you for the images of these fine looking shelters.
The east side of the lowlands? took a big hit with the snowfalls recently. My daughter spent the weekend skiing in the Lammermuirs and from both Kirk Yetholm and Wooler in the Cheviots hills...from the images, I've seen, the snow cover looked excellant. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland