walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Penninsula & Kananaskis Canyon...a steady return

Canada - Penninsula & Kananaskis Canyon...a steady return

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 am

Date walked: 02/04/2013

Time taken: 2

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 240m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is only 7 weeks since I last walked in the mountains but it feels like much longer. On a trip home to the UK I picked up a virus that floored me when we got back to Calgary. I was housebound for 4 weeks and significantly weakened by the condition, so much so that an hour walking in town would see me exhausted.

I've spent a couple of weeks getting from that state to one where a hike looked possible again. I planned a nice short 6km route with only 500m of ascent to ease me back into the hills. After a beautiful long drive through the mountains I finally arrived at 'Black Prince' day use parking area only to find the area closed entirely.

I was not prepared for that and only had one area map with me, I decided to head back to Kananaskis lakes where there are a number of trails I know well. On the way back toward the lakes I pulled over at 'Penninsula' day use area just to take a look, though the car park was closed for winter I liked the look of the area (which has been closed for a while now with some construction project in the area)

I drove a little further along the highway until I was level with the construction site access at the dam and pulled off the road onto a clear patch and spent a ludicrous length of time getting my boots on and getting sorted. On the upside I did find my GPS in my hiking stuff so at least I would have some idea of where I was at any given time.

I set out across the dam intentionally leaving the snow shoes behind, I knew this would be a short hike so thought I would make the most of the work out potential and 'trudge' the deep stuff for a while. The level of the lake had fallen considerably since I was last out this way, or more correctly I should say, has been lowered considerably in preparation for the spring melt.
Sure enough as I cross the dam I see a circular well in the water similar to the plug hole in your bath, slowly reducing the level of this massive lake.
Once across the dam I had a choice of several directions so picked one at random and headed off past a large picnic area and into the trees, already feeling the effort of trudging in the snow.
the snow is melting a lot around here but still has some way to go before the locals can make use of these particular picnic tables
across the picnic area and through the forest a little way I found a groomed cross country ski trail running beneath a power line. It looked like it had not been used for a while but was well maintained. I crossed directly over and back into the forest beyond.
I was grateful when I picked up a snowshoe trail which was well compacted and made the walk through the forest from here very easy. I emerged into a large parking area for the Peter Lougheed visitor information centre. Though closed for winter it provided a good reference point for me.
I crossed the entrance road and picked up another groomed ski trail (walking in the centre so as to avoid messing up the skiing) I set off again into the trees.
I made a nice slow arc through the trees on the easy going trail until I was heading back toward my start point. It was wonderful in the trees, absolutely silent except for my trudging in the snow. The temperature was well into double figures as it has been for a couple of weeks now and it was great to be back in the hills again.
after a while I crossed below the power lines again and re-entered the forest before turning off the ski trail and onto an old snowshoe trail which was heading in the right direction.
as I exited the forest to another open area I came across this trail head sign for Kananaskis Canyon. Sarah and I had tried to visit this canyon before but is was closed due to the construction project, I decided to explore it whilst I was here.
the short trail begins with a descent to the canyon floor and a small bridge crossing the narrow channel that was previously a torrent which created the canyon. Dams for hydro electricity have all but stopped the flow.
as you enter the canyon there are more and more of the small bridges criss-crossing the stream, it's quite a nice walk but not one you would make a 'special trip' to visit but it would make a nice add on to a family picnic back in one of those large picnic areas I passed earlier.
after an open section with a couple of benches for the weary the canyon narrows again to a small waterfall adjacent to a metal stairwell.
I pass the stairwell and explore the small overhang and it's 'picture window' but the ice is not the thickest any more and I don't stray far down the river.
just beyond the 'picture window' I am stopped by an incredibly deep pool that is frozen to some level but I can't tell how thick the ice is as it is so clear. The snow is very thick as can be seen inside the pool, but to get closer I would need to drop down a snow bank onto the frozen pool.....probably not a good idea with all the creaking and groaning of the ice around me.
I backtrack to the stairway and take the easy option of heading up and out of the valley as the designers of the route intended.
from above I can see that this is the end of the canyon but the walkway below points to a circular route which is always better than retracing your steps so I descend again along the tourist route to the small crossing point.
downstream the forest has begun to reclaim the riverbed of old, it won't be long I'm sure until this is just a little stream through the forest.
soon after the crossing I turn back into the forest and scramble up through the deep snow back to the large picnic area from where I can see the dam I crossed initially away in the distance. The virgin snow is a good slog and the effects of my previous illness are beginning to make themselves apparent as I huff and puff through the picnic area.
back at the dam the ugly scars of construction remain on the downstream side, I'm unsure if this is completed or not, perhaps they just stopped for winter. Anyway I've had a poke around here and am satisfied that I'm now familiar with another little area of this vast country.
looking along the lakeside I see a picnic table clear of snow and a few footprints heading off that way. Though it takes me away from my truck I decide that a little extra wandering will do me good in the long run; so I trudge on, frequently losing a foot through the deep snow as I cross the spillway.
It is now very warm and I'm sitting here in the mountains in my t-shirt, enjoying lunch beside a frozen lake, whilst looking at the rocky mountains it's an incredible place to be. It has that spring feel, you know winter is ebbing away and the warmth and spring and summer will soon be here.
after a nice rest beside the lake and some delicious oranges, tracker bars and tea I decide to carry on along the lake shore for a while just to get an understanding of the layout of the place, I'm beginning to think this would make a great kayak spot as it is a huge lake.
after a couple of km's along the lake shore I begin to feel drained and reluctantly turn back to the dam and the short walk across it to the truck, I confess that once I'd changed out of my boots I found myself sneaking 40 winks in the truck before the long drive home.
I'll be the first to admit that this is not the most exciting of hikes, but having been away for a long time and being really ill it was just great to be back out in the mountains. Now I can begin the build up to fitness and look forward to those long summer days.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Penninsula & Kananaskis Canyon...a steady retur

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

Great to see you out and about again Chris. An interesting wander by the looks of it, anywhere with views to those mountains has got to be worth while.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:25 pm

So sad to hear you had picked a virus :( Just bad luck. But I see you are back out and enjoying yourself.

If that is what you call "not the most exciting of hikes", then what is an EXCITING one? :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Lenore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Sorry to read you were so ill, Chris! I'm glad you're out and about again, even if it's not quite the major hikes you've done before. You'll be back to your usual self soon enough!!

Pictures are lovely and crisp as always. You seem to be getting lots of decent weather out there in Canada. Or are you just a fair weather walker? :wink:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm

What a bonus to my day......a new report from you and lots of lovely photos :thumbup:
So glad that you're recovering from the virus, Chris, and great for you to be out and about :D
We've had something akin to your weather with snow, ice and blue skies :lol:
This was Weardale yesterday (looking into the sun)
DSC_0006WH.jpg
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:10 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Great to see you out and about again Chris. An interesting wander by the looks of it, anywhere with views to those mountains has got to be worth while.

Cheers JK, just glad to be out again...a few more weeks and I'll be getting back up there :wink:
BlackPanther wrote:So sad to hear you had picked a virus :( Just bad luck. But I see you are back out and enjoying yourself. If that is what you call "not the most exciting of hikes", then what is an EXCITING one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks BP, that's my first real illness for years so I can't complain. I think my measure of exciting walks has been spoiled by this spectacular area and the incredible mountains around here, though I do still find them beautiful even just to drive by :D
Lenore wrote:Sorry to read you were so ill, Chris! I'm glad you're out and about again, even if it's not quite the major hikes you've done before. You'll be back to your usual self soon enough!!
Pictures are lovely and crisp as always. You seem to be getting lots of decent weather out there in Canada. Or are you just a fair weather walker? :wink:

Thanks Lenore, it's good to be back. I think I am a bit of a fair weather wanderer as I love to photograph the stunning scenes whilst out there, which is not so easy in the clag :lol: though with 333 days of sunshine a year Calgary makes being a fair weather wanderer that much easier :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby clivegrif » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi Chris, good to hear you've finally shaken that nasty British bug off. Must have been one of those that killed off whole civilisations during the days of Empire!

Your little wander was as spectacular as usual, and the pics are just lovely. Spring is obviously springing, and it looks a wonderful time of year over there.

Best wishes.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Nice to see you out and about and glad to hear you have shaken off the bug.

Some great pics pal, showing em to the Mrs for next years trip

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:09 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:What a bonus to my day......a new report from you and lots of lovely photos :thumbup: So glad that you're recovering from the virus, Chris, and great for you to be out and about :D
We've had something akin to your weather with snow, ice and blue skies :lol: This was Weardale yesterday (looking into the sun)

Thanks Susie, (how did your post get in front of mine :? ) we must have been posting at the same time. I can't believe the weather you guys are getting over there it really is unusual this time around, people often say that but this time .....snow and freezing temps in april :wtf: Still, it provides for some lovely photos :wink:

clivegrif wrote:Hi Chris, good to hear you've finally shaken that nasty British bug off. Must have been one of those that killed off whole civilisations during the days of Empire! Your little wander was as spectacular as usual, and the pics are just lovely. Spring is obviously springing, and it looks a wonderful time of year over there. Best wishes.

Cheers Clive, whatever that bug was you can keep it over there :lol: Spring is well under way now and some of the lower slopes are clearing, there will be more snow yet but it won't be laying long...summer is on the way :thumbup:

L-Hiking wrote:Nice to see you out and about and glad to hear you have shaken off the bug. Some great pics pal, showing em to the Mrs for next years trip Cheers

Cheers LH, don't be showing her those...show her the ones from last year :wink: ....I'll get some good stuff loaded this year from further afield........
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby DaveB1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi Chris Great report and pics as usual, hope you're beginning to feel much better and up for some real adventures this summer. I'm off to Langdale this Sunday to play in what's left of our snow! Keep well Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 pm

DaveB1 wrote:Hi Chris Great report and pics as usual, hope you're beginning to feel much better and up for some real adventures this summer. I'm off to Langdale this Sunday to play in what's left of our snow! Keep well Dave

Thanks Dave, I've been researching an absolute cracker for the long summer days....I hope to get to it this year, if I do it will be my best by far I think :wink: Have a great time in the lakes but take a big coat.....its been bloody freezing up there :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby quoman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:11 am

Hello Chris... hope your felling a wee bit better now, thats a nice we walk it doesn't matter where you go the views are stunning at every turn.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:43 am

quoman wrote:Hello Chris... hope your felling a wee bit better now, thats a nice we walk it doesn't matter where you go the views are stunning at every turn.

My thoughts exactly Chris,really good to see you back out & hope your feeling better.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby morag1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Glad you're feeling better Chris, i missed my weekly fix of the Rockies :(

Short walks, long ones, doesnt really matter, whats important is being out and about in that stunning place :D
morag1

Postby Yochy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Chris, That Virus is still going around, glad you are feeling better. Photos look great. Should make walking a bit easier once the snow clears up. How remote are you?, do you get many tourists during the summer or are your treks nice and quiet?.
Yochy
Mountaineer

Hewitts:2

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland