walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon three becomes four

Glen Lyon three becomes four

Postby scooby0511 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:54 am

Munros included on this walk: Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean)

Date walked: 06/04/2013

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Ascent: 981m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first attempt at a walk report, but thought I should do it to give other walkers a chance to see what the conditions are like if they are planning a walk in the next few days.

I attempted to do the Glen Lyon four on 2nd March, but with the weather and time against me I only managed to complete three and had to leave Meall Nan Aighean for another day.

The advantage of being up in the hills at times is the ability to see the weather closing in even though you have checked the weather umpteen times before leaving for the walk.

A note for all is that due to the state of the old building opposite the telephone box at the car park, the start of the path is closed off, but a diversion is available and well signed some 50m along the road which takes you to the Old Mill then back on the path.

After leaving the forest I took the first path (on right) and although a good path I think I could have cut about 10 minutes off my time if I had continued up the main path to the first telegraph pole then took the path towards Creag Mhor.

Hit the snow on the first steep part of the walk, but their was that many foot prints it was like walking up a set of stairs, but had to be careful because of some ice.

The snow was here and there until about 700m when it was all snow, good grip without the use of the crampons so they stayed in the rucksack.

Meall nan Aighean lower summit.JPG
First view of the south summit

Only took a few photographs so I hope you enjoy, I did consider doing the other three again because the weather was very good with no or very little cloud.

Carn Gorm 2.JPG
View to Carn Gorm

Carn Mairg 2.JPG
View to Carn Mairg

Ben Lawers.JPG
Lawers group

Summit.JPG
The summit shot, I should have worn the hat as I got a good tan on my face.

Schiehallion.JPG
Schiehallion

A very enjoyable few hours on the hills and thanks to everyone that posts their walks on the site, it is a good source of information as the photographs are valuable aids as is the commentary.
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland