walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up with the larks on Black Hill

Up with the larks on Black Hill

Postby Jaywizz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Hill (Pentlands)

Date walked: 09/04/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An opportunity for a quick walk in the Pentlands, so chose Black Hill. I parked at Threipmuir carpark (G.R.166639) but then, in my eagerness to be on the hill, left without checking my route. Not the first to make this mistake, I suspect, I crossed the reservoir and ended at the farm of Easter Bavelaw (instead of Wester). I crossed a couple of fields in the company of many skylarks, lapwing and a curlew - delightful songs, even if the wind was still icy. Over the final fence, the depth of frozen snow helping considerably here, and then up the heather moor to the small rocky cairn.
From Black Hill.jpg
South west to East Cairn Hill

The views south-west were good, enticing for another day. I was on my own, a couple of other walkers below on the track, and peaceful, apart from the occasional sound of rifle fire carried in the wind from Castle Law ranges.
All too soon, time for a descent, and return to the car by Wester Bavelaw, with hard tarmac once again under my boots.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Up with the larks on Black Hill

Postby hills » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Nice hill this, good to see again.
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland