walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

kingussie to braemar via feshie

kingussie to braemar via feshie

Postby NickyRannoch » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:37 pm

walking from kingussie to braemar via glen feshie soon and i noticed a sign at linn of dee today warning that the path at upper glen feshie is eroded on the east side and it requires fording the river feshie 3 times to get along the glen.

just wondered is anyone had done this recently and could give me an idea what to expect on the route between stonetroper and the river eidart on the east side of the river.

cheers
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: kingussie to braemar via feshie

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:28 am

Late summer 2011 I took my bike down the east side from Auchlean to walk An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir. There was quite a lot of erosion in the path then but at some points it was possible to go up a lot higher then back down - there was also a section where there had been a landslide. In the end I found it easier just going through the water and stuck mostly to the west bank on the way up though still had to go through water. Link to WR may help a bit http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14173
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lochlaggan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 am

Rockhopper's photos are a little out of date now as the river crossing now has more stones built up and make a fine crossing but I'd not do if the river was high. You really should have no problems and there are some lovely tracks on this route but also some rough tracks. If you don't mind carrying your bike a bit this is easily do able in a day.

Have fun!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby gaffr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:41 am

The fording of the river Feshie is really only necessary if you were taking a land rover up the glen... I have been up in a LR and there are three significant crossings of the river to be made:lol:
For folks like me who don't like dicing with fast flowing water especially at this time of year....some help offered maybe. Walking from Kingussie/Tromie/Druimguish/Coranstilmore and over to W glen Feshie estate road...bridge at NN85051 96477. The bridge to reach area of Baileguish has taken a bit of a hit recently...check it out...I have crossed it twice recently on my velo...usually the burn is not very full.
Stay on the East side of the Feshie all the way up to the Eidart...bridge nearby upstream.
Several side stream feeders to the Feshie on the the way....usually no problems with crossings.
The erosion along the E side of the Feshie was noticable in the mid seventies when I first travelled this way...it is not new.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby ed_hill » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:15 pm

We walked in upper glen feshie last weekend. the path on the E side of the river from achlean is erroded, but is in the proccess of being rebuilt, so is actually a good path for at least half of it. On the W side of the river is a tarmac track as far as glenfeshie lodge. We forded the river at NN845935, which was fine, but theres been further snow melt and rain since then, so couldnt gauruntee this is possible now
ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Munros:236   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 pm

cheers for the replies and fingers crossed for a dry spell then.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion