walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

C1 crampons or spikes?

C1 crampons or spikes?

Postby simon-b » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to climb some southern Munros between 4 and 11 May, avalanche forecasts permitting. The only crampons I have are C2, but my B2 boots badly need a re-sole, and I won't be able to get this done in time. I do have a pair of B1 boots, and a pair of B0. So purchasing C1 crampons, or a pair of spikes, would be options. Hills on the agenda include Ben More and Stob Binnein, Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean, the Cairn Mairg 4, Ben Challum, and An Caisteal, Beinn a'Chroin and Beinn Chabhair.

More snow is likely to fall next week. Given the possible conditions on these mountains, would people recommend that I buy C1 crampons, or should I go with a pair of spikes? Or is it particularly likely that I'll need neither?

Thanks.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: C1 crampons or spikes?

Postby brpro26 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm going to suggest you get micro spikes. Either Kahtoola(which I've used and are great) or what I'd probably buy if given a second chance the Pogu spikes, much the same as the Kahtoolas but have a nice velcro strap across the top. Search for them on Amazon, there both about the same price £45.
Unless you're going vertical then they should see you alright. :wink:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Re: C1 crampons or spikes?

Postby simon-b » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks, brpro.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk