walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Long Lie vs The Cairnwell. A Tough Call

Long Lie vs The Cairnwell. A Tough Call

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 27/04/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.93 km

Ascent: 591m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a fairly quiet weekend on the cards, and my other half wanting peace and quiet to edit her photos, I debated the merits of a long lie, against getting The Cairnwell Munros out of the way. I realise this sounds rather dismissive, but I had viewed them as little more than three blue balloons, going by some reports on here, and only really enjoyable in the winter. The previous weeks' decent weather had thawed things out so i was rather expecting a muddy, tedious slog.

So i dragged myself out of bed and up to Glen Shee, pleasantly surprised to see there had been a decent snow dump over night. I got suited and booted, headed past the ski centre and decided to head in a straight line up Carn Aosda following one of the ski tows. I was amazed to reach the summit in 25 minutes :lol:

DSC_0022.jpg
North from Carn Aosda's summit

DSC_0024.jpg
South to Glen Shee from Carn Aosda's summit

It was a bit blowy and frankly freezing, so i headed on down and followed the path to the bealach, then made for Carn a'Gheoidh, stopping (in no particular order) for a banana, fag and an apple (breakfast of champions :? ).

I think this stretch took roughly an hour, but was thoroughly enjoyable away from the dilapidated look ski tows and fencing. A quick pull up the final slope to the summit and i was at Munro number two. Carn a'Gheoidh is quite remote, with fine views out towards Beinn a'Ghlo and various other mountains i have yet to learn the names of. I met a couple of guys who had tackled the route the other way round, starting with a steep ascent of the Cairnwell.

Again i took a couple of photos and got on my way.

DSC_0055.jpg
Beinn a'Ghlo range from Carn a'Gheoidh

I met about a dozen other walkers on the way back to the Cairnwell. It was a pleasant wee stroll, with fine views to be had.

DSC_0045.jpg
Creag Leacach

DSC_0046.jpg
Mount Blair

DSC_0047.jpg
The Cairnwell and Creag Leacach

I was soon at the summit of the Cairnwell, which is a bizarre sight to say the least.

DSC_0070.jpg
The Cairnwell's summit area *shudder*

So that was that. Three Munros in little over three hours, most fine weather and some lovely views. Even the descent, although steep and slippy was over with pleasingly quickly and i was soon back at the car, and heading back down the glen. All in all, a far better than expected jaunt and a lesson perhaps that even the most theoretically mundane walks can be very enjoyable.
Attachments
DSC_0068.jpg
Glen Shee from the Cairnwell
DSC_0028.jpg
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Long Lie vs The Cairnwell. A Tough Call

Postby simon-b » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:41 pm

A nice walk, jupe. There are some great views from that round, despite the immediate foreground and its constructions. The avalanche forecast has still been looking worrying for the Southern Cairngorms, but things don't look too scary in your photos. It's sensible to be selective with routes at the moment, your walk seems to have been OK.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby David-Main » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Good walk jupe, I know how you feel about getting up, I was the same this morning as I new there had been fresh snow on the hills, I left home at 9.30 this morning bound for the drumochter munros with a lot of doubt in my mind but had a great day, only thing I forgot to pack my camera in the rush :roll: . Love your pics.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby litljortindan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Looks like you got a good day. I wanted to walk today but fell on my knee playing football last night. Some vicarious walking is better than none.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland