walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bishop Hill, a really enjoyable high level walk.

Bishop Hill, a really enjoyable high level walk.

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bishop Hill

Date walked: 27/04/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4.49 km

Ascent: 351m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I now realise that Fife Athletic club are so lucky to have all these fabulous training hills on their doorstep, they are trully wonderful for training runs. From last weekends trip to the Southern Cairngorms I set my sights a bit closer to home, the Fife Sub 2000s, first one up Bishop Hill, I had intended to do this when I walked the Lomonds earlier in the year but because of the amount of snow on the ground decided to omit this hill as I new there was a burn crossing (Glen Burn) between West Lomond and Bishop Hill. Left the carpark in Kinneswood beside the school at 0930hrs, from here you can see the path heading straight up at the back of a row of houses towards some crags. Fine day, cold little wind and fairly dry on the ground.
1.JPG
View from the carpark, with the path heading straight up the hill. Leave carpark head up on the road where there is a small path on the right leading towards a transmitter mast, pass at the side and then return at the rear, where you see a wooden gate
2.JPG
There is a sign on the gatepost Michael Bruce Well, go through the gate and head straight on up the hill
3.JPG
Footsteps made for you at this point, nice for gripping on the way up better avoiding on the way down, especially if wet
4.JPG
Kinneswood in the background
5.JPG
Loch Leven and Kinneswood, looking back
6.JPG
Soon you are heading for the crags, head for the grassy section to the left in between the crags
7.JPG
View above the crags looking back
8.JPG
After the crags the gradient gets much less steep and soon you can see where the summit is. Easy walking from now on on dry grassy ground
9.JPG
From the summit looking over to Munduff Hill
10.JPG
West Lomond and East Lomond
11.JPG
Munduff Hill

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
12.JPG
Close up of Weather Radar station (Met Office)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Bishop Hill, a really enjoyable high level walk.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:45 am

Busy wee day for you Rod, doing the three. Good wee walks and this looks a good route up Bishop Hill, very differant to the north route i took. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:41 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Busy wee day for you Rod, doing the three. Good wee walks and this looks a good route up Bishop Hill, very differant to the north route i took. :D

JC, I guess the North route would have been muddy! The OS map shows a path from the farm track atEast Balgedie but could not find a parking spot not a path so just headed to Kinneswood, big paring area beside the school. Really good walk, enjoyed it, next weekend Knoydart, bring it on! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 pm

It wasn't too bad, i did along with the 2 Lomond Hills starting by the Glen Burn. I was in Knoydart exactly a year ago this weekend in what was one of my best walks yet. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/vi ... =9&t=20836 Hope you get some of this weather :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Here's our other day, it wasn't too bad either :wink: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20839
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Here's our other day, it wasn't too bad either :wink: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20839

ta for that JC, I have read your day 2, but not the other report. How was coming off LB to get to the corbett? tricky!, I am to be with others and they might just want to get off on the South West ridge, is it feasible to skirt around the SW shoulder and head to the bealach between LB and corbett or better still just go straight up corbett? what do you think? :?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:02 pm

It was a bit tricky due to the snow but wouldn't pose any problem normally. Just after you come off LB, see photo 19, you leave the ridge to head for the Corbett. I stayed on the ridge too long and had to return back to get off it. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:It was a bit tricky due to the snow but wouldn't pose any problem normally. Just after you come off LB, see photo 19, you leave the ridge to head for the Corbett. I stayed on the ridge too long and had to return back to get off it. :D

Did the boss tell you off, MT that is! :lol:

Just looked, that's the way I went up last time.
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland