walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Snow?

Snow?

Postby GableNovice » Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 am

After reading the post on the group going to Glencoe this weekend and talk of snow over the weekend with mentions of ice-axes and crampons I became worried about my own trip in 3 weeks. I realise these things are hit and miss but what is the likelihood of snow in mid to late May where I'm heading (timetable posted below)?
I've got no crampons or ice axes and absolutely no experience whatsover walking in snow. To be honest the whole issue worries me and I would really love to avoid cutting the trip because of this but it's a concern.
Can anyone offer any advice please?

Timetable

May 23rd - Ben Nevis via CMD arete
May 25th - Bidean nam Bian
May 26th - Am Bodach to Devils Staircase or (depending on conditions and safety) Aonach Eagach
May 28th - Cairngorm to Carn a'Mhaim via Ben Macdui, returning to Glenmore via Lairig Ghru
May 30th - Devils Point via Lairig Ghru to Braeriach returning to Glenmore
June 1st-6th - Torridon - Beinn Eighe, Horns of Alligin, Liathach, Beinn Dearg, mountains south of Torridon (map arrives end of the week).

I'm relatively inexperienced in ridge walking but I've done scrambling and easier peaks in the Lake District as well as Cairngorm and Ben Macdui several years ago. Any advice at all on routes and alternatives would be brilliant :)

I'm using public transport so flexibility will limit changes I can make.

Thank you :)
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:11   

Re: Snow?

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 am

This looks pretty ambitious to me for someone with very little experience. There is every possibility of snow on many of these hills well in to May. One comment about your plans. Why go all the way back to Glenmore after doing Carn a'Mhaim only to retrace your steps to do Devil's Point? You could drop down to Corrour bothy or camp somewhere. You would be very lucky to have 2 weeks of good weather so I think you would need to be a bit flexible in your plans.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby GableNovice » Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 am

I'm considering the Corrour bothy and I'm also beginning to look at lower level walks for bad weather. I'm going to play it safe so may not complete all the peaks listed but I'm hoping the weather isn't too.....scottish.
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 01, 2013 8:55 am

Of these I think the first two are the most likely to be problematic due to remaining snow. The slopes from the end of the CMD arete to the summit of the Ben often hold snow late in the season, as do the gullies at the head of the Lost Valley and below Church Door buttress. All of these are places where a slip would have serious consequences. The simplest route up Bidean is to go up the Lost Valley, then head up right to the col between Stob Coire nan Lochan and the main summit.

The Aonach Eagach is unlikely to be affected by snow: the crest of the ridge doesn't hold any great quantities and catches the sun.

You will almost certainly have to cross snow patches in the Cairngorms, but these will mostly be easy-angled and not a problem, except maybe the descent from Macdui into the Lairig Ghru.

You will be unlucky for snow to be a problem in Torridon in June.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby GableNovice » Wed May 01, 2013 11:57 am

I'll proceed along the CMD arête with caution. If there's any major snow on the slope up to the summit from there I'll turn back.

I'm out so haven't got the map and can't remember the name of the hill but I'm taking the southern approach up onto Bidean and descending via the valley.

For the slope from Macdui to the ridge for Carn a'Mhaim I'll proceed with caution and if there's a major amount of snow that causes a danger I'll head back up onto the plateau and descend round to the ski car park.
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Postby denfinella » Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 pm

GableNovice wrote:After reading the post on the group going to Glencoe this weekend and talk of snow over the weekend with mentions of ice-axes and crampons I became worried about my own trip in 3 weeks. I realise these things are hit and miss but what is the likelihood of snow in mid to late May where I'm heading (timetable posted below)?
I've got no crampons or ice axes and absolutely no experience whatsover walking in snow. To be honest the whole issue worries me and I would really love to avoid cutting the trip because of this but it's a concern.
Can anyone offer any advice please?

Timetable

May 23rd - Ben Nevis via CMD arete
May 25th - Bidean nam Bian
May 26th - Am Bodach to Devils Staircase or (depending on conditions and safety) Aonach Eagach
May 28th - Cairngorm to Carn a'Mhaim via Ben Macdui, returning to Glenmore via Lairig Ghru
May 30th - Devils Point via Lairig Ghru to Braeriach returning to Glenmore
June 1st-6th - Torridon - Beinn Eighe, Horns of Alligin, Liathach, Beinn Dearg, mountains south of Torridon (map arrives end of the week).

I'm relatively inexperienced in ridge walking but I've done scrambling and easier peaks in the Lake District as well as Cairngorm and Ben Macdui several years ago. Any advice at all on routes and alternatives would be brilliant :)

I'm using public transport so flexibility will limit changes I can make.

Thank you :)

Hi GableNovice,

Firstly I just want to say that all of those walks look fantastic and it'd be a superb couple of weeks in the right conditions. However, chances are that over two weeks there'll be at least a few days where the weather doesn't play ball. One thing that jumps out at me is that there aren't any (at all!) bad weather options.

Late May is quite often still winter on the Cairngorm plateau. In terms of snow, I think both your Cairngorms routes are quite likely still to have deep snow in parts, although this is more likely to be on the plateau so winter equipment might not be necessary. The slope from Macdui to Carn a'Mhaim is steep and bouldery and would be difficult under snow. However it faces southwest so I think you'd be OK unless it's very cold / snowy for the time of year then.

Ben Nevis via CMD rings the most alarm bells for me. Torridon is steeper still, but much less likely to be snow-covered. Basically agree with jmarkb's advice.

Maybe just presume that you won't get everything done and have backup plans in case the weather's not perfect! You can always come visit again :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 am

GableNovice wrote:I'll proceed along the CMD arête with caution. If there's any major snow on the slope up to the summit from there I'll turn back..

OK, but beware of getting yourself into a situation where neither carrying on nor turning back are attractive. Best not to commit yourself to the arete unless you are certain you can exit safely at the far end.

GableNovice wrote:I'm out so haven't got the map and can't remember the name of the hill but I'm taking the southern approach up onto Bidean and descending via the valley.

Stob Coire Sgreamach from Glen Etive? That should be OK. I'd advise using the route I suggested to descend, and not direct from the col between Sgreamhach and Bidean, which has seen several accidents.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby GableNovice » Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am

Ok, providing visibility is decent should I be able to assess the slope visually from the Carn mor dearg side of the arête?

And I'll be heading up Bidean from Beinn Maol Chalium. Apparently there's a steep but do-able slope that gets up onto the summit. If its got any snow on I'm not going to go anywhere near it and will probably drop back down via Bealach Fhaolain before having a crack at Stob an Fhuarain if conditions and time allow.
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu May 02, 2013 12:13 pm

GableNovice wrote:And I'll be heading up Bidean from Beinn Maol Chalium. Apparently there's a steep but do-able slope that gets up onto the summit. If its got any snow on I'm not going to go anywhere near it and will probably drop back down via Bealach Fhaolain before having a crack at Stob an Fhuarain if conditions and time allow.

That ascent to Bidean is very steep and over loose scree which is unstable in many places. It is much steeper and looser than the ascent of Carn Mor Dearg where I believe you had difficulty last year and I really would not recommend it. There are safer routes up Bidean and ones where other people will be climbing for reassurance that you are on the right route.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby GableNovice » Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Ok I'll also prepare for ascending it via the Lost Valley. If conditions are very good I may still head over the back and I have Fhuarain as a backup if reach the slope and it appears too steep for my abilities.

One of the main issues on Carn Mor Dearg last year was I'd overpacked completely carrying the entire group's water (a mistake I'll never make again). There wasn't too much of an issue and I was fine until we began the up from the CIC hut. I'm very lightly built torso and arm wise and the bag kept throwing me off balance. This time I'm taking only the water, food and gear I need and won't have any such trouble. I've scrambled slopes and steep ground before, the difference last year was complete idiocy and lack of judgement by me.
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 pm

GableNovice wrote:Ok I'll also prepare for ascending it via the Lost Valley. If conditions are very good I may still head over the back and I have Fhuarain as a backup if reach the slope and it appears too steep for my abilities.

A couple of tips for you about these hills:

The E ridge of Stob an Fhuarain has a couple of short awkward scrambly steps on it: easiest if you keep well to the left of the crest: http://www.munromagic.com/MunroImages/MM7195.JPG

Don't try descending directly from Beinn Maol Challum to the Bealach Fhionnghaill: there are substantial crags above the col which are not that well shown on the 1:50000 map: http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/60/67/2606740_aae3c242.jpg You need to go north to the last knoll before Bealach Fhaolain and then make a long, slightly descending, traverse back to Bealach Fhionnghaill.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion