walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

yaktrax

yaktrax

Postby RowsOfWeeHooses » Fri May 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Just purchased yaktrax walkers, heard they were quite good, any comments!
RowsOfWeeHooses
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:19
Fionas:6   Donalds:1

Re: yaktrax

Postby tenohfive » Fri May 03, 2013 7:58 pm

I've got the Yaxtrax Pro's. They seem pretty good for general pottering about on compacted snowy paths but I wouldn't use them in the hills.

I read in a magazine that for road running they're better, but off road microspikes are the better option (IIRC that was a quote from the makers of Yaxtrax.)

ETA: Linky:
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... nning.html
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Rudolph » Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Agree with tenohfive.

Great for icy pavements but I'm not sure how they'd cope with mixed snow and ice up a hill. And I don't intend to try.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon May 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi,
I had some fun with the yaktrax pros this winter and tested them to destruction on the hills. Not sure if you intend to use them on hills or not but if so this was my experience. The black rubber strands snapped on contact with protruding rocks, the rubber on the toe section was prone to slipping off on descent to fold under the boot, and the coiled wire section repeatedly stretched away from the boot sole. On side loading they were not great.
A mate who bought the walker model, lost one of them crossing a small snow section on Slioch. That was probably because there was no velcro strap to go over the instep on this model.
The positives were that they were comfortable, lightweight, did not tear the gaiters, and there was no need to walk like John Wayne. They seemed fine for providing basic grip over less demanding terrain i.e. on level ridges, paths and approaches, but were no good for use on steep or icy sections, and definitely no substitute for crampons and ice axe. I still keep a pair of them on the outside of the rucksack for speedy use as they are very lightweight. Reckon I'll leave them there until after the summer... I also bought the Kahtoola mini spikes which are a bit more robust than the yaktrax pro but still not good enough on true demanding sections but they are handy to pull on over lighter 3 season boots. Hope this helps...
Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk