walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bus Stop at the Kingshouse

Bus Stop at the Kingshouse

Postby morag1 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:52 am

Does anyone know if the Glasgow to Fort William Bus will stop at the Kingshouse Hotel?
I see it stops at the White Corries Ski Centre but that's a bit off the WHW, would be great if I could get a lift from the hotel.

Thanks for any help :D
morag1

Re: Bus Stop at the Kingshouse

Postby Scott69 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:38 am

I don't think it does stop at the Kingshouse though the request stop at the ski centre is on the WHW.The stop is where the WHW crosses the A82 and leads from there to the Kingshouse.
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

Postby magicdin » Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm

The bus stop at White Corries is only 1.2 km from Kingshouse (up the track)
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby morag1 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Scott69 wrote:I don't think it does stop at the Kingshouse though the request stop at the ski centre is on the WHW

Fantastic info Scott, thanks very much :D

magicdin wrote:The bus stop at White Corries is only 1.2 km from Kingshouse (up the track)

Great Magicdin, I see it on the map, wasn't sure of the exact distance :D

I am hoping to wild camp at the Kingshouse (yes, really!!!) but if the weather is bad I thought it might be an option to catch the bus back down the route and find accommodation there. Either that or take a taxi to Kinlochleven then another taxi back the next morning but that will be expensive.

Much obliged for your help gentlemen
morag1

Postby ballarat » Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm

it might be better to stay at kings house,if you are going to taxi into kinlochleven and back,

if this old memory serves me correctly theres some decent camping spots at kings house area :)

also glencoe village is closer and has yha hostel and private hostel :)
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby morag1 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi Ballarat, I'd love to stay at the Kingshouse but I need to see what the weather is like before I book, because if it's bad weather then I wont be crossing the moor of Rannoch or going onto the Devils Staircase. If its fine weather then I think it would be great fun to camp in such a special place, as long as the midges don't bother me!!!

I also looked into staying in Glencoe but most places are fully booked already, the only place I found that still has rooms is in Kinlochleven. Believe it or not most places along the entire Way seem to be booked including Rowardennan Lodge.

It's proving more of a hassle sorting accommodation and meals than it is planning the walk but, hey I'll get there :wink:
morag1

Postby ballarat » Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm

aye the dreaded midgie :( which month are you walking
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby morag1 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 pm

I have booked three weeks off work between July and September and my plan is to wait for a good weather window and then just go for it. It's such a special thing to do that I really want to do it in good weather - Loch Lomond shore, Rannoch Moor, the views of the Glencoe Mountains - I really want to enjoy these, not get soaked or blown to pieces by the wind.

To be honest if I could make it straight to the Kingshouse before the weather breaks, then go back and do The Devils Staircase and the walk into Fort William later on I would be happy with that :D
morag1

Postby ballarat » Tue May 07, 2013 7:18 pm

:( right in the midgie weather :(
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby morag1 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Er, yes....I'm afraid it is :( Still, given the very hard time I've had lately I'm just grateful for the chance to try something like this at all. I just hope the midges don't like the taste of my skin :?

I'm under no illusions about how hard it's going to be so my strategy is to try to get myself at least to the Kingshouse, then go back and complete the last section at a later date. I'm not trying to kid myself on I'm tough or prove anything by doing this, I just want at least once in my life to do what must be the greatest walk in Scotland :D
morag1

Postby Ossian22 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 pm

If you can, cross the moor in decent weather the veiws are well worth it. I did the WHW 2 years ago in sunshine theres a great contrast between the open sections of moorland and the towering mountains on the other side. I enjoyed that section of the walk.

As opposed to Sunday past when I walked from Forest Lodge to Kingshouse and back for a bar meal (I told the mrs I was doing wee bit training for a C2C) the rain was horizontal, I hardly seen a thing. It could have been a track anywhere. Funny thing is I still enjoyed it.
Ossian22
Mountaineer

Munros:112   

Postby ballarat » Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 pm

morag1 wrote:Er, yes....I'm afraid it is :( Still, given the very hard time I've had lately I'm just grateful for the chance to try something like this at all. I just hope the midges don't like the taste of my skin :?

I'm under no illusions about how hard it's going to be so my strategy is to try to get myself at least to the Kingshouse, then go back and complete the last section at a later date. I'm not trying to kid myself on I'm tough or prove anything by doing this, I just want at least once in my life to do what must be the greatest walk in Scotland :D

you have it in your sights,im sure you will do it good luck :)
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby morag1 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Ossian22 wrote:If you can, cross the moor in decent weather the veiws are well worth it

Hi Ossian, that's what I'm hoping for :D Horizontal rain is NOT my thing, so any bad weather I will just abort and try again wwhen the weather improves 8)

ballarat wrote:im sure you will do it good luck

morag1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion