walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back of Skiddaw

Back of Skiddaw

Postby andy63 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brae Fell, Great Cockup, Great Sca Fell, Knott, Longlands Fell, Meal Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Knott

Date walked: 08/05/2013

Time taken: 4

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 768m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

NB:approximate route

I took a chance on the weather for this one. There was some rain forecast and a couple of heavy showers on the drive up. Fortunately it got better as the day went on. I got rained on at the start but then dried out by the wind and finished the walk in sunshine.

It's a nice little walk over some grassy hills.
I parked on the road near Longlands and headed up the Cumbria Way path, and then turned right to go up Longlands Fell.
001.JPG
Longlands Fell

Lowthwaite Fell is slightly bigger than Longlands Fell but for some reason it's the smaller hill which is classed as the Wainwright.I would have gone up Lowthwaite but the wind was blowing rain in my face so I decided to go round it instead.
002.JPG
Lowthwaite Fell

I then headed towards Brae Fell, skirting around the top of Charleton Gill.

003.JPG
Charleton Gill

004.JPG
Brae Fell summit

From there it's an easy ridge walk to Great Sca Fell.
005.JPG
Little Sca Fell summit

006.JPG
Still some snow around despite the recent heatwave

007.JPG
Great Sca Fell summit with a cloudy Skiddaw

008.JPG
Bassenthwaite Lake

The boggiest part of the walk was between Great Sca and Knott, which was the highest point of the day.
009.JPG
Knott summit

I then went back to Great Sca summit and turned left onto the path which goes down to Meal Fell and Great Cockup.
010.JPG
Meal Fell and Great Cockup from Great Sca Fell

011.JPG
Meal Fell

014.JPG
Ascent of Great Cockup

013.JPG
Great Cockup summit

The valley between Meal Fell and Great Cockup is called Trusmadoor. A path from here leads back to the start at Longlands.
012.JPG
Trusmadoor
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland