walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nan Aighenan via Glen Kinglas - the long walk

Beinn nan Aighenan via Glen Kinglas - the long walk

Postby kevsbald » Sat May 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan

Date walked: 27/04/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 910m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Work had been very hectic what with daily updates to Government regarding the measles and Cryptosporidium outbreaks in Scotland. To say that I was in dire need of a long hill day was a gross understatement and I had decided back in November that Beinn nan Aighenan would be done via lonely Glen Kinglas.
IMG_2261.JPG
Lonely Glen Kinglas
IMG_2263.JPG
Beinn nan Aighenan far in the distance
It was the ultimate tonic and the length and solitude would afford a cleansing of the body and mind. I arrived at Victoria Bridge for 0800 and was away at a good rate of knots, reaching Loch Dochard within an hour and a bit. The view across to Meall nan Eun is rewarding and being in this glen feels incredibly remote.
IMG_2265.JPG
Meall nan Eun across Loch Dochard
IMG_2267.JPG
Looking towards Stob Coire Albanaich
However, I saw a couple of people who had taken the trip in to camp beside the loch so it is clearly appreciated by others. I walked past Beinn Suidhe, a great wee hill and inexorably, Beinn nan Aighenan grew steadily closer. It is a small psychological blow to reach the high point of the land rover track and see that you have to descend a good few hundred feet to the bridge below the steep Eastern end of Beinn nan Aighenan. To have walked 10km and still to begin the ascent proper means that you need to knuckle down mentally and physically. However, the climb was straight up and brought me out on to a ridge which had no obvious path - it really is nice to go off the beaten track and explore what is left of the wild land of Scotland. The ridge undulates and allows for incredibly expansive views across Glen Kinglas and to the Munros directly North.
IMG_2270.JPG
Glen Kinglas expanse
IMG_2272.JPG
The long ridge to Aighenan
IMG_2274.JPG
The last snows of Winter
It is quite a place to while away time and mellow out. The sweeping ridge to the final summit brings you up to the cairn and views over to Stob Ghabhar and in the distance, the Cruachan massif.
IMG_2276.JPG
Summit cairn and the Cruachan massif
I had decided that I would continue down the other side and into Coire Caim. I topped up my water at a fast-flowing streambed and began the long walk back out. I felt that I was one of a few people who would walk out this way and managed to pick up the occasional deer path which made for good going. Within the hour, I was back on the land rover track, which felt good. I only had 5 miles to head for home but by this point, the legs weren't swinging so freely. Some Pearl Jam accompanied me and no doubt scared off the wildlife but by this point, any help was welcome. I arrived back at the car both physically tired but mentally had left all my worries in the hills. It was a beautiful day and one way of doing this hill that I would totally recommend.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn nan Aighenan via Glen Kinglas - the long walk

Postby PeteR » Sat May 11, 2013 8:09 pm

This brings back memories kev, and all of them good :D Even the sore legs and aching knees by the end of the walk were worth it in my opinion :lol: This really is a gem of a route and I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed it as much as I did when I did it. You got summit views too....which I didn't :mrgreen:

Glen Kinglas is a wonderfully remote and stunning place :D I think walking in this glen was my first experience of this sort of remote walking, and apart from a couple I met on the summit itself I saw not a single person the whole day :D (not that I'm anti-social or anything :lol:)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Clach Liath » Sun May 12, 2013 2:51 pm

This is the best approach I think, so I go with your recommendation. I did it many years ago using a bike for the approach to the high point of the Land Rover track. It felt a long day even using the bikes.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Sun May 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Quality walking as ever amigo! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Fudgie » Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 am

Having stood on Beinn nan Aighenan and looked down that Glen, it does look like a wonderful walk and probably preferable to doing it the way I did it which was from Ben Starav. Well done Kev.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Long way for one, kev, but worth it in the end - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Mon May 13, 2013 1:18 pm

kevsbald wrote:The last snows of Winter

Ever hopeful, eh?

Great photos. I wnt this way as I thought the extra driving down Glen Etive would cancel out the shorter walk. Glad I did, as it is a great route. Shame the weather wasn't as good as this though.

kevsbald wrote:Cryptosporidium outbreaks in Scotland

Where's that then? If it was from a public water supply it will probably result in some work for me eventually.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon May 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Just superb Kev! :clap:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 14, 2013 10:36 am

A superb choice of route. Will venture this way myself when i do the Grahams in Glen Kinglas. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue May 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Great stuff. I'd been thinking of doing Meall nan Eun from Glen Kinglas. After this report, I think I definitely will do it from that side.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Collaciotach » Tue May 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Ah i took the "short" route from Glen Eite, having omitted this wee beauty on a previous round ,took the Mrs .... looooong day :D

Enjoyed that and quality pics :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland