walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

over Luss hills to Garelochhead

over Luss hills to Garelochhead

Postby dunrig » Sun May 12, 2013 11:37 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn a'Mhanaich, Beinn Chaorach

Date walked: 10/05/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I used this trip as an opportunity to test my fitness - not very was the answer. My coming holiday will just have to be a dawdle- where? Back to Skye, Rum, Jura, Arran, through Assynt, over hills to Poolewe, round Moidart & Ardgour need to decide , more plans - less time, as MacCaig writes ( on London to Edinburgh train):

Scotland, I rush towards you
into my future that,
every minute,
grows smaller and smaller.

lots of plans are a hopeful investment in that future, a walk on the sunny side of the street...

Caught bus from Glasgow, started in the sun, had a full pack, on track to Auchengaven, Coille-eughain hill, Tharsuin, Chaorach, then down & up to Mhanaich. After the first hour or so the wind, rain & mist came down. As I climbed Mhanaich the sound of constant gunfire added to the atmosphere. the guns fell silent as I reached the top so took a chance and started walking along broad ridge to Glen Fruin road, (don't follow this example). Some time later the unnerving sound of not so distant gunfire started again, I immediately dropped off the ridge contoured round side of The Strone then out along 3 lochs way to Garelochhead.
I struggled on the last uphill which doesn't bode well for a 5 or 6 day trip. The red flag was up on the lower slopes of The Strone, am sure there used to be one near the top of Mhanaich (maybe not?) though I saw nothing in rain and mist.
P1050628.JPG
brief blue skies
P1050629.JPG
Beinn Eich
P1050632.JPG
poor lamb- seen so many dead this week
P1050642.JPG
onwards
P1050648.JPG
loch lomond
P1050665.JPG
glenn luss as weather closes in
P1050678.JPG
looking back
P1050689.JPG
out of mist for sandwiches
P1050705.JPG
sound of gunfire
P1050709.JPG
safer side of hill
P1050710.JPG
bottom of the strone red flag
P1050716.JPG
dunrig

Re: over Luss hills to Garelochhead

Postby malky_c » Mon May 13, 2013 7:27 pm

Nice start at least :) . Quite looking forward to doing some walks in the Luss hills. I have such a large sackful of plans that it is a shame to think that half of them will never see the light of day.

I don't think I've looked through your walk diary before - a bit of an inspiration for getting about without a car :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon May 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Great accessible hills for the unwashed lot west of Harthill :wink: . Fine photo of Loch Lomond :)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby dunrig » Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 am

thanks malky_c - like the auch corbetts you can certainly manage all 6 luss grahams in a big day between buses from glasgow.

Leithy Suburbs soap-doger just about describes me after a 5 day trip - on one memorable occasion I had to cover my feet with plastic bags to make the return bus journey bearable for my fellow passengers ( no time for a wash)...
dunrig

Postby meangarry » Tue May 14, 2013 3:33 pm

dunrig wrote:- on one memorable occasion I had to cover my feet with plastic bags to make the return bus journey bearable for my fellow passengers ( no time for a wash)...

:lol: My smelly helly was not pleasant even after my short blast up beinn dubh. Not sure if it was my rugged good looks or the fact I had sat near the back but on the bus home two young ladies chose to sit fairly close to me on an otherwise empty bus. I reckon they regretted that decision, I was reekin'. :? :lol:
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland