walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Newbie here Looking for advice

Newbie here Looking for advice

Postby Newbiewalker » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

Hi one and all I am very new to this hill-walking malarkey and my reason for it was to raise money by walking Ben nevis. I love walking so distance is not a problem. My issue is the height thing, how stupid am i? I recently did Bennachie from the Back o bennachie car park and that was not a problem. However this week i did Bennachie from the Bennachie Centre and i absolutly hated it. Even had a wee episode about falling backwards to my doom irratonal i know.
What advice i am looking for is Ben Nevis anything like that side of Bannachie ie steep and doom-worthy? :crazy: :crazy:
Newbiewalker
Mountaineer

Re: Newbie here Looking for advice

Postby coachmacca » Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 pm

HI - tried googling Bennachie as I havent done it but I struggled to find a "hill" - is it Mithers Top you mean or one of the others? see this link http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/BennachieLeafletMap.pdf/$file/BennachieLeafletMap.pdf

To be honest coming from that angle if its Mithers top (although its a small vs Nevis) doesnt look too steep but isn't very flat either - going by the contours..and a ridiculous amount of playing on google earth trying to get a look at it..

Nevis by the pony track is a long walk and at times given its size and the "steps" on the way can be tough going (on the knees mostly!) but in general its not "steep" although that's subjective i guess depending on what you've done before. I don't remember any point on it where falling back would have done me much more damage than a sore bum although there are a few high steps I guess.

Suggestion is you try a few other hills... before nevis I did Conic Hill, Ben A'an, then Ben Ledi plus a few wanders round Callendar Crags and these will all give you a better understanding of what the terrain at height can be but none are "scary" in any way.

Hope you find your Hill legs because once you get into it you will love it.. and good luck with Nevis! :D

P.s Im a great believer in pushing yourself just gradually beyond your current comfort zone always make you enoy life a little bit more - so go do some hills and I'm sure you will not only gain the confidence but relish it! :D

After that - Hypnotism? :wink:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Newbie here Looking for advice

Postby Newbiewalker » Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 am

Many many thanks for your advice on this.
Have spoken to my brother who has done both and he says i should manage. He too has given me some places to try.
I am determined to do it as its for charity and cannot let them down.
:D
Xxx
Newbiewalker
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...