walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Horseshoe - completed at last

Glen Lyon Horseshoe - completed at last

Postby tullius0618 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 17/05/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1400m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great gosh almighty - third time lucky!

I've posted previous attempts to complete this circuit, losing out to weather and bad luck, but finally seem to have gotten lucky, in a big way, this time.

Following the recommended route I have very little to add to the existing information, except for one or two highlights.

The barn in Invervar that marks the beginning of the trail is on the verge of collapse so there's a little signposted detour in place, easy to follow.

The bouncy bridge is getting more bouncy all the time, and the wooden bridge earlier on the farmer's track is showing signs of increasing wear and tear!

Carn Gorm itself was pretty much as expected, still some patchy snowdrifts near the summit.

As I was approaching the second summit(Meall Garbh) the noise of a jet engine caused me to look back towards Carn Gorm, where I had the surprise of a Eurofighter on it's side climbing up and over An Sgorr. Yes, between me and the summit of Carn Gorm, not overhead! Shame my camera was in my pack at that point as it scurried off to the North.

High winds across all four peaks, making the weird summit cairn on Meall Garbh vibrate ominously!

The approach to Carn Mairg is quite impressive, still collared in snow, but the weather damage to the descending path on the eastern shoulder means this is quite a tense ten minute drop, followed by a very welcome and flat ten minute traverse before the final ascent.

Great views down into Glen Lyon from Creag Mhor, followed by a quad-burning, knee crunching descent to the car park.

1. Fluids consumed - 4 litres mix water & isotonic
2. Pictures taken - 35 plus two short vids
3. Multi-million pound flying death machines sighted - one
Attachments
1. Glen Lyon from the bouncy bridge.JPG
Glen Lyon from the bouncy bridge
2. Looking back to Carn Gorm.JPG
Looking back to Carn Gorm
3. Weird summit of Meall Garbh - Schiehallion beyond.JPG
Weird summit of Meall Garbh - Schiehallion beyond
4. Schiehallion in the sun.JPG
Schiehallion in the sun
5. GlenCoe from Meall Garbh.JPG
GlenCoe from Meall Garbh
6. Ben Nevis from Meall Garbh.JPG
Ben Nevis from Meall Garbh
7. View from Meall a'Bharr.JPG
View from Meall a'Bharr
8. Schiehallion between Meall Garbh and Carn Mairg.JPG
Schiehallion between Meall Garbh and Carn Mairg
9. Carn Mairg from the west.JPG
Carn Mairg from the west
10. Carn Mairg from the east.JPG
Carn Mairg from the east
11. Looking back from Creag Mhor.JPG
Looking back from Creag Mhor
12. False summit cairn on Creag Mhor.JPG
False summit cairn on Creag Mhor
13. Glen Lyon from Creag Mhor.JPG
Glen Lyon from Creag Mhor
14. Final descent ridge viewed from Carn Gorm southerly shoulder.JPG
Final descent ridge viewed from Carn Gorm southerly shoulder
tullius0618
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Glen Lyon Horseshoe - completed at last

Postby Munro Madness » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Great report with nice pictures. . . . . .so thats what the views are like at the summits!lol I did the same 4 on Saturday 18th and had a battle with high winds especially on the summit of Carn Gorm and all the summits were cloud covered. The little bridge used for the river crossing is certainly bouncy. I was very glad that it sits a small distance above the river and not higher up! :-)
Munro Madness

Munros:96   

Re: Glen Lyon Horseshoe - completed at last

Postby tullius0618 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks MM, it was my third attempt so the views were a bit of a revelation to me too! :wink:

With the weather improving now's the time to get out there though.

I did Stucd na Lochain yesterday so now have the complete set of Glen Lyon summits and can move on, fingers crossed the MWIS is right about less cloud, cold notwithstanding!
tullius0618
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:5   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland