walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Footpath Etiquette

Footpath Etiquette

Postby Backpacker » Sat May 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Here's a question for you.

Who is supposed to "give way" on footpaths? those coming up, those going down or just whoever reaches the narrow part first.

as I mentioned in my report, the main footpath to The Cobbler was like Central Station today, granted as I had set off at stupid o'clock I was heading back when the majority were heading up, there were a few stops made to let people pass, not that I'm bothered especially if there's an attractive female involved :lol: :lol: but there were a couple of times where I had to wait on the groups before I could continue.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts were.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Footpath Etiquette

Postby CrampedFuture » Sat May 25, 2013 8:15 pm

I've always had that problem in that area. It's ridiculous. It's great that's people are getting out but I was heading up narnain and ime last year with the gf. Popular summer day and a big group (30+) let me by but not her and she was stuck in the middle for about 15mins even though they could tell we were together. Very rude. Does not help when crossing the burns and it's a bottle neck.

When in comes to individuals I say it's up in the air. If someones on a mission I let them go. If it's a large group should they should stand aside on narrow paths imo.
CrampedFuture
Mountaineer

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat May 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Good question, luckily it is only a problem on the busier hills :wink:

Personally I would give way to anyone ascending as lets face it, it is easier to descend - unless gravity means one can't stop :)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby wee black dug » Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Chic Murray used to relate a story involving that very conundrum. As he put it, whenever he met an attractive young lady approaching from the opposite direction on a narrow mountain path he could never decide whether to block her passage or toss himself off.

:angel:
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby spokes2563 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:50 pm

I usually give way if ascending - an excuse for a rest!
spokes2563
Munro compleatist

Munros:275   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:304
Wainwrights:125   Islands:6

Postby Gythral » Sat May 25, 2013 11:07 pm

I was told give way to those ascending, on a Alpine course, which makes sense in that situation...

And it's what I do.
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun May 26, 2013 7:41 am

Personally I lash scythe blades to my ankles as did the ancient Britons with their chariot wheels. That soon clears a path. Oh yes...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Personally I lash scythe blades to my ankles as did the ancient Britons with their chariot wheels. That soon clears a path. Oh yes...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby electricfly » Sun May 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Footpath Etiquette: A Common Sense Approach...

1. Overtaking in same direction - On approaching a slower walker/group of walkers from behind, attempt to pass on the right as you would overtake in a vehicle. If the person/persons are unaware of your presence then give an audible signal as you approach. A short cough or if you're feeling chipper a quick "how you doing there?" is usually sufficient. If the path is very narrow then ask politely to be let through.

2. Passing walkers heading in opposite direction - Awareness is the key to a successfull pass. It is important to determine the speed of those coming in the opposite direction. Those travelling at a greater speed should be given right of way regardless of whether they are ascending or descending. Where both parties appear to be travelling at a similar pace then the ascenders should be allowed to continue their climb unimpeded.

3. Passing walkers heading in opposite direction during scrambling sections of hill - Right of way should always be given to those descending a scramble section regardless of their speed.

4. Conversations - It can be tricky to establish where and when it is appropriate to stop and hold conversations with other walkers while out on the hill. Many people are only too keen to take a breather for a quick chat about their route, their gear or just their day in general. Others not necessarily anti-social, may be watching the clock or have a long trek ahead of them and might not wish for anything more than to exchange a quick greeting. I try to follow an easy rule of thumb here. If a communication is instigated and is in the form of a remark or comment then it usually merits at response but with no requirement to stop progress. Where an instigated communication is made by way of a question, it is generally good form to stop and converse with the instigator. If you are in a hurry, then politely make it known that you need to continue on your way.

5. Just use common sense and courtesy. Don't be impatient with slower movers, they may just have incurred an injury. Holding gates open and lending a hand at stiles for persons in your vicinity won't cost you anything, but will make you feel good. Smile at everyone you meet, a smile doesn't require a translator and can be all it takes to cheer up another's day! :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Circles » Mon May 27, 2013 9:14 am

Personally I lash scythe blades to my ankles as did the ancient Britons with their chariot wheels. That soon clears a path. Oh yes...

Not sure if you were inspired by Ben Hur or the car race in 'Grease'
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby MG1976 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:35 am

For me, heading into the hills is about getting away from all the "rules" imposed by work. I keep to "safety" and "enjoyment" in that order. I find applying those considerations in any given situation stands me in good stead. Said (and heard) plenty of "thank -you'd", and had many enjoyable chats with fellow walkers. Too many rules defeats the point IMHA.
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon May 27, 2013 10:28 am

MG1976 wrote:For me, heading into the hills is about getting away from all the "rules" imposed by work. I keep to "safety" and "enjoyment" in that order. I find applying those considerations in any given situation stands me in good stead. Said (and heard) plenty of "thank -you'd", and had many enjoyable chats with fellow walkers. Too many rules defeats the point IMHA.

With you on that. One can take these things a bit too seriously :crazy:
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Circles » Mon May 27, 2013 11:32 am

...but surely if they are wearing jeans and I'm clad head to foot in Rab, they should step aside while averting their eyes and allow me to continue my quest of conquering summits without interruption or inconvenience?
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby IamAJMiller » Mon May 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Sharpen your elbows and get stuck in!! Beano-esque fighting dust clouds with arms and legs sticking out are sure to follow!! :D
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:34
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Red Peak » Mon May 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Circles wrote:...but surely if they are wearing jeans and I'm clad head to foot in Rab, they should step aside while averting their eyes and allow me to continue my quest of conquering summits without interruption or inconvenience?

Spot on :D

I'm more than happy to give way to a fellow walker, but there's no way I'm giving way to someone who's wearing jeans, trainers, and a football shirt. It's just not on :wink:
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion