walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scald! Its the Law - Pentlands 6, Fab day out

Scald! Its the Law - Pentlands 6, Fab day out

Postby GillC » Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scald Law

Date walked: 25/05/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1006m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Loooong but fab day,
Turnhouse Hill, Carnethy Hill, Scald Law, South Black Hill, East and West Kips and a long road back .

About 2 weeks ago, Margaret and I started out on this fine wee range of hills in the Pentlands. We had just had a cracking day on Chonzie that time, but the weather turned the following day and we gave up at the top of Turnhouse Hill due to really strong winds, low cloud and rain etc, on top of Chonzie tired legs, just didnt seem a good idea. With a "climb day" pencilled in the calendar and the forecast looking settled and fine, we thought about these again. Nice quick run along the M8 and we were there.

Arriving at the Rangers centre at Flotterstone around 10:40am, the car park was already full, so we had to park out on the road itself. Loo break, then back to the car to boot up. It had got very bright by now, think it was the glare off my wee Scottish legs in shorts, whiter than white.

Knowing the steep wee hill up to the trees before Turnhouse Hill was a bit of a cardio workout, I was taking it easy, but it actually didn't feel as tough as I'd remembered it, fresher legs today I suppose. I'd played 18 holes on a hilly wee golf course in Beith yesterday, but for some reason, the only effect I felt was in the old glutes. Buns of steeeeeeellllllll :lol:
DSCN3305.JPG
A better looking Turnhouse Hill than 2 weeks ago!

DSCN3307.JPG
A tough wee climb up to the Turnhouse Hill shoulder

Margaret and I both commented on how packing for a warm day was harder than a cold one on the hills, extra water, layers, in case of winds,,do you need waterproofs? long trousers etc? Turns out, I carried a windproof jacket and trousers all the way round and never used them, but sods law, I'm sure it would have been freezing and wet at the top if I hadn't. :lol:

The hills were very busy today,, clue in the full carpark. Looking up on to Turnhouse, there were small and larger groups all the way up, with others silhouetted against the skyline on the shoulder up to the top.
Great range of ages etc all over the hill too. Some more mature walkers putting many, half their age, to shame, smashing to see.

We were looking forward to a bit of height as the views today would be great. Sure enough, when we got up to the shoulder, Berwick Law, the Eildon hills, the Forth estuary, the bridges, over to Fife, snow on what I think may have been the Grampians, couldn't quite work out if it was Gramps or C/Gorms so forgive me if I'm wrong.

The views to the North West and West were a bit misty with hills visible, but not quite there.

We passed some groups of younger folks, carrying enourmous backpacks, thought they might have been heading up to set up camp somewhere, but think I saw some of them later, down by Loganlea Reservoir,,so maybe they just had large lunches with them haha.

We didn't spend any time at the top of Turnhouse (506mtrs) several groups with bottles of bud, cans of strongbow etc. The path over to Carnethy was clear to see and again, busy. Off we strode, taking in the views, down off Turnhouse before starting the second climb of the day, Carnethy Hill.
DSCN3315.JPG
Across the ridge

The lesser spotted buckethat bird!.jpg
The lesser spotted white legged buckethat bird!

The paths are very worn and easy to follow. They wind their way up and down the hills in an obvious route, but these hills are also peppered with a network of other, less worn paths, so it's very easy to make your way around without necessarily sticking to a defined route, pick and choose to suit how you feel, cross land, up or down hills, round the reservoirs etc, something for all.

The top of Carnethy has a small stone cairn at 573mtrs on a fairly broad plateau which is covered with loose grey stones. There are 3-4 stells, sheep shelters, built on top, although I'm not sure many sheep have seen them. Still, they provide a bit of shelter if you can courie doon in them.
DSCN3313.JPG
Stells at the top of Carnethy Hill

DSCN3316.JPG
Cairney on Carnethy

We just took some pics and then headed off again towards the highest peak for today, Scald Law. This is also the highest in the Pentlands range and you can come directly up under it from The Howe, reached by track along the reservoirs, or even off the A702 road that runs directly under this ridge, alongside Penicuik. But on a gorgeous day like this, we were thoroughly enjoying the undulating ridge, glorious views and sunshine.
DSCN3310.JPG
On up to Scald Law

The path down off Carnethy takes you down quite far so its another steep, weaving climb up on to Scald Law. It was pretty much in shade as we looked over to it but the clouds were passing over the sun quite quickly so our ascent was very pleasant with a warm breeze keeping things fresh.
The reservoirs  Black Hill and Bells Hill.jpg
Reservoirs, Black Hill and Bells Hill

Talking of sun,,I got pretty bad sunburn yesterday, arms, face and had the golfers tan of a totally white left hand. (Was kind of hoping it would get a bit of colour today) Otherwise, we both had suncream on, with my trusty bucket hat and kept the overshirt on until late in the day. I didn't want to get any more red than I already had. The path up the Law wove back and forward so it was pretty good going and we soon reached our highest point for the day.
DSCN3321.JPG
Us! oh, and a lovely view back across the ridge from the top of Scald Law

DSCN3327.JPG
What a day

We were getting a bit hungry, so after a couple of pics taken at the top we decided to look out some shelter from the wind. Our original plan was to come off Scald and down over East then West Kips but we spotted South Black Hill over to the south of the Law, only marginally lower than our position and sticking out over Eight Mile Burn. We wandered over, found the shelter of another stone stell, and sat down for a spot of lunch. We had to be quiet, there was a fellow walker having a snooze on the other side.
DSCN3324.JPG
East and West Kips taken from South Black Hill

Rather than retrace back to Scald Law, we followed a less worn path round the side of South Black Hill, towards the Kips, this soon joined up with the main path.
Rejoining the path from Scald to the Kips.jpg
Coming off South Black Hill,,the path back up to Scald Law

Looking back from here, we had great views of South Black Hill to the right, Scald, Carnethy and Turnhouse beyond. It gave a real perspective of the ridge we had come across. Looked a lot further than it did while we were up there.

The Kips look like pretty small hills from the way down and again, with obvious, well defined paths. They had an edge though. The paths up,, though shorter than the previous 3 hills, went straight up so the actually felt a bit tougher. Up on to West Kip at 551mtrs, last climb of the day.
Up to West Kip.jpg
Up to West Kip,,last climb of the day.

We had a look at the map here and could also see paths criss crossing in various directions but as it was such a lovely day and we were in no hurry, we decided to take the path west down off the Kip and follow it round towards Hare Hill to the North.
You cross over a fairly flat area here but again, the views back along the entire ridge we had just completed were great. A lot less people walking this far on,,but saw a few and mountain bikers started to increase in numbers too.
Down off the Kips,,great views back.
the long ridge from the West,.jpg
the 5 main tops, only missing South Black Hill,,out of sight behind the Kips on the right,

As you approach the tree covered area around Barelaw Castle, the walk takes to a tarmac road for a short spell before again heading off across a stile and on to farmland. Heading over the path, alongside a burn, with some amazing rock formations. You can see where rock has been laid down in layers, then some fantastic force has upended the entire area so the layers are now vertical.
DSCN3352.JPG
Vertical layers

wee glen at the top of Loganlea.jpg
Glen at the Logan Burn

You make your way into a high sided valley, between Hare Hill and Black Hill before coming out at a great wee waterfall. (Spotted another tired walker having a snooze here, boots off, mouth open, catching flies and very probably and nasty dose of sunburn too)

Approaching a house (The Howe) and on through to Loganlea Reservoir, dotted with fisherman around and on the water. We nipped in to grab a seat and another wee bite to eat.
Back up to Scald Law,,above Loganlea.jpg
Up to Scald Law, above Loganlea Res'vr

We had covered quite a few miles by now and hot feet, wooly socks and leather boots taking their toll. At least we knew it was all pretty much level and downhill to get back to Flotterstone, shame to rush, enjoy the day.

The track passes a wee cabin at the side,,which I think may be for fishing permits etc, but they also do tea and have a portaloo,, 50p to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrying on round past the water outlet from Loganlea Res'vr that feeds the Logan Burn then on into Glencorse Res'vr. Theres a lovely wee cottage, Loganlea Cottage, but all the windows are shuttered etc,,,looks pretty empty.

We started to set ourselves goals at this point, next person in front,,,overtake them. At a point where we were feeling hot of foot and tired of limb, its a great way of focussing and keeping a decent pace. Coming round on to Glencorse Res'vr, the road seems to cut off the end of the waterway, with the main water to the right,,there is also an area on the left which I originally though might be flooding, but the map clearly shows water on 2 sides of the road as a permanent feature. What made it look funny was a wall, complete with wire fence on top, where only the wire fence could be seen above the water level. 2 geese standing on the wall made me look twice lol We managed to overtake quite a few groups of walkers as we passed on down Glencorse and we had probably walked about as much distance on the road by now as we had covered on the ridge itself. The road takes a right hand turn and we were soon off down a path through the trees at Glen Cottage over old filter beds, related to the Reservoirs workings. Shortly after, we rejoined the path off up to Turnhouse Hill and the last half mile back to the car.

The rangers centre here closes at 4 but luckily, they dont lock the loo! :clap:

We were very dusty, very tired but what a fab day. I had a new bit of sunburn on the ankle of one leg, and behind my left knee, not bad for someone who burns like a crisp.

I think people might see the Pentlands as an easy option but we had made a great day out of a cracking ridge walk, undulating between the 6 tops we covered, together with a wander through some lovely countryside. The return route could have been shorter if we had wanted but why waste a good day.

I'd love to come back on a cold clear, winters morning, note to self! :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by GillC on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Scald! Its the Law - Pentlands 6, Fab day out

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun May 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Great report, never been walking in the Pentlands, driven past them trillions of times :oops:

Looks like good fun & some nice paths to follow :wink:

Will add the Pentlands to my getting longer by the day list :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Scald! Its the Law - Pentlands 6, Fab day out

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun May 26, 2013 11:40 pm

That s a great report of a wonderful set of hills, been there many times, and Turnhouse never gets any easier. :lol: Lovely photos as well :clap: :clap:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland