walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

An Teallach's Weather

An Teallach's Weather

Postby SaintJimmy671 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Hey folks,

Myself and a friend are heading up An Teallach way next Thursday (6th) and I've checked the weather forecast which says nothing exciting; just watch out for the normal fog hazard. I've learnt that the Met office don't usually have a clue so I'm just wondering if anyone has been up very recently, or if anyone's got a weather info source they swear by?

It's not a massive issue but I'd like to know ahead of time, and hopefully avoid the blistering sunshine I've had for the last 10 years on every major hike!
SaintJimmy671
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   
Fionas:6   

Re: An Teallach's Weather

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 pm

That far in advance is a bit too far for anyone, I am on a vessel and our professional weather forecast only goes up to 48hrs with any certainty, after that it is open to wide variables. Our current forecast (Mid North Sea) says conditions settled, probably unchanging up until Wed 5th June. For a given definition of "probably". And "settled", and "conditions"! The Met Office inshore waters and mountain info can give you good advice, but it is always a reasonable guess, never set in stone.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-inshore-waters/#?tab=map
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri May 31, 2013 12:56 pm

With the usual caveats about the difficulty of forecasting over more than 48 hours the best site I have found is netweather

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=7;ct=825~An%20Teallach;sess=#forecast

You can search a forecast for many of the main hills. bit more specific than MWIS, although that is also an excellent resource.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby malky_c » Fri May 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Personally I'd look at the Met office hill forecast and the MWIS one and take an average. I'm unconvinced about the accuracy of these sites that give you weather for a specific hill; and as Caberfeidh says, I'd take anything more than 48 hours away with a pinch of salt, except in the most general terms.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri May 31, 2013 3:00 pm

malky_c wrote:Personally I'd look at the Met office hill forecast and the MWIS one and take an average. I'm unconvinced about the accuracy of these sites that give you weather for a specific hill; and as Caberfeidh says, I'd take anything more than 48 hours away with a pinch of salt, except in the most general terms.

you put the hill in but it is still a general forecast, for example you could put in braemar, carn aosda, lochnagar, ben avon it will all be the same forecast - just a wee bit more specific than MWIS.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby SaintJimmy671 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Yeah I thought that would be the case, needing to wait until nearer the time. I'm just scared that if I find out I need some new equipment, I'll end up spending the whole month's wages in outdoor shops!
SaintJimmy671
Munro compleatist

Postby aliandi1 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 pm

This is what it looked like on Tuesday as seen from the Fannaichs.....
Attachments
image.jpg
aliandi1
Wanderer

Munros:105   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   
Islands:32

Postby SaintJimmy671 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm

That's a beautiful pic, thanks. I would take that weather!
SaintJimmy671
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion