walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Postby Steve B » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 02/06/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been looking across at these 2 from a number of hills and was saving them for some good weather. Sunday’s forecast looked to be spot on so provisions sorted on left Glasgow about 07:45. Dropped into McD’s in Milngavie to pick up a breakfast to be consumed on route.

By the time I was booted and suited at the end of the Inverlochlarig road it was 09:30. The car park getting full already and a few folks just leaving for their individual adventures.

There is no introduction to this walk, just across the stile opposite the car park and then pretty much straight up until 700 metres or so. :shock: A few people could be seen higher up the slope. The path of sorts was easy enough to follow and I was glad that the weather had been good for the last while as this would be a horrible boggy slog in the wet.
L1020988.JPG
Looking back towards the car park from halfway up the initial hillside

L1020990.JPG
View beyond the settlement of Inverlochlarig

A few stops made to admire the views and catch my breath were made. In no time the fence and stile is reached. On the far side of this a chap from Holland was layed down in the sun waiting for his mate that had actually just walked passed him! A brief chat in which he commented that in his 10 visits to Scotland he had only had bad weather once, incredible.
L1020991.JPG
Approaching the stile

As the ground levelled off they stopped again for a sit down and I plodded on along a broad grassy hillside aiming towards the start of the ridge proper.
L1020992.JPG
Looking down over Loch Voil

At around 900 metres the view along the ridge to Stob Coire an Lochain opens up and stunning views all around. :D
L1020994.JPG
Cruach Ardrain appears

L1020995.JPG
The ridge starting to look good

A fairly quick pace was made along the grassy ridge and another climb along Na Staidhrichean to the cairn on Stob Coire an Lochain. A few pictures taken from here towards the summit of Stob Binnein.
L1020996.JPG
Looking along Na Staidhrichean

The walking is as good as it gets, brilliant views, sunny without being too hot and the route for the rest of the day able to be seen stretched out. :D A lone walker could be seen approaching the top of the summit. I was surprised how quiet the hill seemed to be considering the weather etc.
L1020997.JPG
Looking to the cairn on Stob Coire an Lochain onto the summit of Stob Binnein

L1030001.JPG
From the cairn on Stob Coire an Lochain onto the summit of Stob Binnein

Eventually I was at the summit, it had taken 2.5 hours from the start. When stopped the breeze had quite a chill so on with a layer and out of the wind to enjoy the situation and re-fuel. After a brew and lunch had a chat with a French guy who had arrived from the other direction about the same time as I had.
L1030002.JPG
Summit of Stob Binnein

L1030003.JPG
Looking down to the bealach and across to Ben More

Off down to the bealach next with the climb up to Ben More not being looked forward to. I was happy that I had approached the hill from the direction I had as the walk looking back up looked to be a real slog. Anyway fairly quick progress was made up to the summit of Ben More, a few folk were passed on the way heading in the opposite direction.
L1030004.JPG
Summit of Ben More and back to Stob Binnein

L1030007.JPG
The cairn on Ben More

L1030008.JPG
Overlooking Crianlarich

A brief stop here and then back to the bealach.
The route down to the watershed between Glen Ben More and Glen Inverlochlarig was straitforward ensuring any craggy areas were cleared before crossing towards it.
L1030011.JPG
From the bealach down to the watershed between the 2 glens

The highpoint between these glens was a beautiful spot. Lots of birds singing and flitting about and the heat was building as it was sheltered here. I think that I would maybe have an opposing view if the ground was boggy but as before the weather had helped the ground which had good amount of give to it and any boggy areas were easily traversed.
L1030012.JPG
Down Glen Inverlachlarig from the watershed

L1030013.JPG
Looking back at Ben More

L1030014.JPG
Further along the glen

A very pleasant stroll down the Glen crossing the river once until the start of the track was made. The track made a change but the heat was really building up. It seems a little churlish to moan about the heat considering the weather we have had though.
Approaching the end of the track a diversion sign indicated that the hydro works ongoing required a different way of attaing the track through the farm. The signage was not in the least helpful and I ended up in an area that had been newly planted with trees and ended up climbing out over the fence to get on the track. :roll: It seems that the deer fence needed to be followed around the perimeter to get to this point.
A short walk back to the car park after a trip that had taken just short of 7 hours. I would highly recommend this way of tackling these hills, the ridge along to Stob Coire an Lochain and on to Stob Binnein is delightful.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Good report with some good photo's :clap:
You are correct when you say approaching from the other side looks like a slog, it certainly seemed like it to me :(
Maybe next time I am over that way I will try them from the opposite side :D
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Postby Steve B » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks FF.
I would recommend this as a way in to these and Chruach Ardrain. The route through Balquidder and past Loch Voil is well worth it.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland