walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhor, a cracking wee wander

Beinn Mhor, a cracking wee wander

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Mhor (Grantown)

Date walked: 03/06/2013

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5.39 km

Ascent: 283m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Heading back home and fed up driving the A9, well take the slip road to Grantown on Spey and just outside Grantown take the turning left signposted for Glenbeg. Drive as far as the wooden bridge and park the car at the side of the road
a.JPG
Parking spot
1.JPG
Cross the wooden bridge and walk up the track with Silver Birtch and Rowan trees, with song birds singing from all directions, very pleasant
2.JPG
Soon the Farm House and Bunkouse come into view
3.JPG
After passing the bunkhouse carry on on the main track heading up the hill, there soon is a branch off on the left, stay straight on and continue to a wooden gate and fence, climb the fence to gain entry to the open heathery hillside where the track winds up the East side of the hill
4.JPG
Head off towards the summit and soon you are in a position to see the Trig point
5.JPG
Trig point at the far end of the summit, on the East side there is a small cairn, I headed off towards the cairn then contoured off to find the track I had come up on
6.JPG
Zoomed photo of track with a hare sitting quietly, it soon moved off hearing me approaching. I returned the way I had come. Over all a lovely wee hill, just enough to say let's stop off for a Grantown on Spey coffee and cake

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Mhor, a cracking wee wander

Postby teaandpies » Sat May 09, 2015 10:50 pm

I grew up in Grantown. I played in these hills, I walked that road past the bunk house hundreds of times but I don't think I ever actually went to the summit.

Crazy. :shock:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Beinn Mhor, a cracking wee wander

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 10, 2015 9:32 am

teaandpies wrote:I grew up in Grantown. I played in these hills, I walked that road past the bunk house hundreds of times but I don't think I ever actually went to the summit.

Crazy. :shock:

Better go back there tea spies, will bring back no doubt many fond memories, and this time go to the summit, no doubt the tree plantations will have grown a lot.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland