walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a bit of Quinag

a bit of Quinag

Postby litljortindan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 05/06/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a fine morning walking over part of Quinag.

This would be the sixth time I've done a walk including Spidean Coinich but only the third time I've gone further than the 745m top. On this occasion I was interested in getting some early morning pictures from both Spidean and of the crags on the 687m top.

Why so many visits including Spidean Conich? Well I would place it as one of the twenty best viewpoints in Scotland. A little difficult to capture why in a photo but just seeing an inviting ridge laid out before you with the sea and islands as backdrop for me makes the ideal mountain view. That is what you get when you look north and all around there are other great views including the Assynt coast, Suilven, Ben More Assynt and Loch Assynt.

For the benefit of anyone else going this way I'd point out that to pick up the new path to the east ridge of Spidean you have to walk for half a kilometre before reaching the turn off. Next thing to bear in mind is that it is worth keeping to the path from the 620m top onwards as you can otherwise end up in unnecessary boulder field battles, as I have done in the past.

Felt like a long descent at Bealach a Chronaidh (in fact only 144m) but the 176m climb up the other side is softened by the gently angled path that contours along the east side of the 745m top.

From the 745m top itself there is an amazing view of the ridge beyond with some dramatic sheer cliffs and crags falling away to the west of the 687m top. In amongst these is a narrow protrusion that, as others here have pointed out, provides a great platform for photographs, whether to pose on or to shoot from. Descent to this point and ascent to the 687m top beyond is quick and easy so a worthwhile detour for anyone looking for impressive views to photograph.

DSCN0436.JPG
sun rising

DSCN0452.JPG
wayside pool at the dip in the south/east ridge

DSCN0475.JPG
the way north

DSCN0568.JPG
cloud rolling in from the north east

DSCN0531.JPG
the 687m top and its crags

DSCN0562.JPG
shoogly looking protrusion

DSCN0586.JPG
more crags; foreground is the north side of the 745m top

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: a bit of Quinag

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Nice pictures Litljortindan. These are Corbetts id like to see again.. on a good day :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Nice Video. Great views... A lot of heavy breathing going on in it :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:56 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Nice Video. Great views... A lot of heavy breathing going on in it :)

Yeah, a mix of getting on a bit, sensitive mic on the flip camera and actual latent asthmatic tendency as well as actual passion for the mountain of course!

This is us on the same in 2010, astonished to see red admirals on Spidean:

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland