walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion - The First Beast Conquered!

Schiehallion - The First Beast Conquered!

Postby Faith » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:37 am

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 05/06/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After having ME/CFS for almost 6 years (and struggling to climb my own stairs during a good percentage of this time) I wanted to do something really impressive to say 'sod you ME/CFS and the horse you rode in on'. So I decided why not bag a Munro?!?
This meant I could raise funds for the local ME Group, raise awareness and get back to walking again (which I always used to love). I asked a Hill-walking friend if she'd like to bag her first Munro with me also and we agreed on a date.
Two days before the walk another friend decided to join us, so us three ladies set off on 05.06.13 to bag our first Munro.
She really is a beautiful Munro and we were constantly surprised by the views and terrine.
The first third of the walk was fairly easy going, but the second part I started to have serious concerns about my sanity in thinking this little walk up and my current fitness levels, however this passed fairly quickly and the last third, even though it was over lots of boulders and was hard going on the brain trying to stay up right was fantastic!
I loved the massive boulders right up on the peak, I couldn't get up them quick enough. Knowing we were almost there and I had achieve this massive turning point in my health was AMAZING! :D :D :D :D
Alas the walk down was not so exciting and the boulders seemed to last forever, taking an hour just to get over these alone.
We did the walk in 6hrs total, with 3.5hrs walking up and 2.5hrs walking down. The boulder area by itself took 2hrs of this time.
All in all it was an amazing day and we have all now got the Munro bug! Even though we were very tired and achy on the way down we were already talking of our next one, so watch this space =0)
Attachments
DSC08146.JPG
DSC08149.JPG
The Top!
Faith
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Schiehallion - The First Beast Conquered!

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 am

Excellent stuff :clap: :clap: :clap: And three very happy faces on the top! :D I guess that's you got the bug now, no looking back.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby weescotsman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am

Congrats on a big achievement. First one done, 281 to go....... :lol:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby GillC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 am

Fab stuff you,, Schiehallion is a smashing hill,, does what it says on the tin. Well done for getting out and up. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Well done to the 3 of you :clap: :clap: :clap:
Schiehallion was my first munro too when I was little back in cough, cough 1994 :lol: Been back up twice since & one never forgets the boulders :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Faith » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Thank you everyone for your lovely responses.
Yes definitely got the bug now! ha :D
Faith
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland