walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Catching a good sunrise in the Lake District

Catching a good sunrise in the Lake District

Postby tenohfive » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm away for a few days next month and will be staying in Langdale. I'm quite into my photography and was wondering if anyone knew anywhere nearby that would make a good spot to catch a decent sunrise? I know I'll need to head upwards to catch the colours - it'll be too bright by the time it hits the bottom of the valley, so I don't mind walking an hour or so from the nearest road. In fact a pleasant walk in would probably be an incentive.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Re: Catching a good sunrise in the Lake District

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:49 pm

I would try Loughrigg. A simple little walk to get up there, stunning views and plenty foreground interest. Should work well
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:37 pm

How about driving up to Blea Tarn for views of the Langdales. Park in the National Trust car park and walk down to the tarn. You could always park at the head of Great Langdale for views of Bowfell and Crinkle Crags as well.
This is a shot from the middle of May which gives you a rough idea of where the sun will shine :D
Langdales from Blea TarnWH.jpg
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby tenohfive » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm

That's a lovely shot Susie. Blea Tarn is definitely on the list, although I'm not sure if it might be a tad low - I might have to hump up a hundred metres or so to get the colourful sky over the ridge between Side Pike and Lingmoor Fell. But having something big like a tarn as foreground interest is my sharpest lens is 11-16mm - so very wide angled. Zooming in to isolate distant hills as foreground isn't going to happen with a kit lens.

I'm not too sure about Loughrigg Johnkay - do you think the sun coming up over Red Screes etc from about 4 miles away will make a decent enough background with a UWA or kit lens?

I've been playing around with a mix of The Photographer Ephemeris and Viewranger and I've come to two conclusions:

1. My foreground interest - be it a tarn or the fells needs to be in almost bang on NE from the location to get the best of the colours coming up over the hills
2. The sun comes up at 5am, so I'm going to suffer for it. Winter photography trips must be the way ahead.

Somewhere that did cross my mind/map was White Stones just up from The Band - that'll put the sun rise directly behind the Langdale Pikes. Naismith reckons about 1 hours walk from the road.
tenohfive

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:40 pm

One classic location that might well work well is Stickle tarn. Would be a stiff climb but the morning light illuminating Harrison Stickle and raking across Pavey Arc might be really special. All reflected in the tarn.
Stunning shot Susie btw :-D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby tenohfive » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:14 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:One classic location that might well work well is Stickle tarn. Would be a stiff climb but the morning light illuminating Harrison Stickle and raking across Pavey Arc might be really special. All reflected in the tarn.

Now that is a very good shout.
tenohfive

Postby Ibex » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:07 am

WOW Susie. What a photo.
Might have to screenshot it and use it as my background.

The only problem being that I will look at it every night before I go to sleep, and let out a pitiful wimper, as i'm so far away from the mountains.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby tenohfive » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:56 am

Ibex wrote:WOW Susie. What a photo.
Might have to screenshot it and use it as my background.

The only problem being that I will look at it every night before I go to sleep, and let out a pitiful wimper, as i'm so far away from the mountains.

I'm sure my desktop background is the reason I'm obsessed with getting back to the hills. And plays no small part in wanting to put the time/effort in to get some lovely shots of them:
http://www.stevecarter.com/latest/8-12-11.jpg
tenohfive

Postby Ibex » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Yeah I can see why you miss the mountains with that shot.
Looking at that picture, I am drawn to the dark line swirling up a gully. Makes me want to go there and follow it up to the summit.

I am constantly daydreaming about the hills at the moment. I'm currently job searching, but keep switching back to this site to read walk reports and look over my maps, to plan hypothetical routes. Might have to take a few days off and go to the Lakes for a 3 day break......
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Ibex wrote:WOW Susie. What a photo.Might have to screenshot it and use it as my background.

Thank you :D If you'd like me to send you the original then PM me with your email.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby tenohfive » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:47 pm

tenohfive wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:One classic location that might well work well is Stickle tarn. Would be a stiff climb but the morning light illuminating Harrison Stickle and raking across Pavey Arc might be really special. All reflected in the tarn.

Now that is a very good shout.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I'm enamoured with the idea. It wouldn't take much scrambling up the face of Harrison Stickle to get a view NE over Blea Rigg to the Helvellyn and Fairfield area, and as you say - the reflections the opposite direction towards Pavey Ark etc could be lovely.

And has the added bonus of letting me do the Langdale Pikes - I've not touched any of them yet, so once I've finished taking photo's I could do Pavey Ark, Harrison Stickle, Pike O'Stickle and Loft Crag - then be back at the campsite in time for breakfast. Just contemplating whether or not I feel brave enough for Jacks Rake at the same time.
tenohfive

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion