walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon route bagpiped!!

Glen Lyon route bagpiped!!

Postby munrobagpiper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 18/05/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had just been away on a camping trip with my girlfriend to Glen Etive, and had extremely itchy feet, as I couldn't get up any of the incredible hills around us. We had a fantastic night, wild camping by the river, and it just fueled the desire to do more, and more remote locations.

Anyway, I spent the night in Edinburgh, and it was a stunning day in the capital. I was quite keen for a chilled day in the sun, till my girlfriends mother suggested a day doing the garden!! I was at the foot of Carn Gorm within two hours!!!

The little car park was quite full, but I managed to find a little verge, and after being diverted from the original path, passing a couple of old buildings, I was on the track heading towards Carn Gorm.

IMG_2242.JPG
Old mill hut?

IMG_2250.JPG
River down the valley

The path was very straight forward, with no dramas. Big views over Perthshire opened up, it was fantastic. I met a few who had just gone up Carn Gorm, and told me the views were spectacular.

IMG_2258.JPG
Gaining height

The wind started to pick up, as seems to be the case every time I am up, but I managed to get my pipes out and get a tune with Loch Tay in the background! Successful day out already!

IMG_2263.JPG
Carn Gorm bagpiped

It was fantastic looking over the Ben Lawers range, which I had done a couple of 2 weeks previously. I looked ahead at the hills still to come, and they seemed fairly straight forward, so off I went.

IMG_2265.JPG
Ben Lawers range

By now the hard part was over, so I was enjoying walking between the hills, taking in the views. I met another couple of walkers, and directed them to Carn Gorm, The summit of Meall Garbh was a bit of a mess to be honest, with all the fence posts etc, but still, I made it!

IMG_2276.JPG
Meall Garbh Bagpiped

The wind was really picking up now, and was making things difficult. Wind chill was starting to take an affect too, but I kept going, I was having a great time after all.

IMG_2285.JPG

Carn Mairg was achieved, again after a great ridge walk, taking in all the views. It really is the best day out, doing all the hard climbing at the start. It was here I got my best views of Schehalion, a hill I cannot wait to climb this summer hopefully!

IMG_2295.JPG
Carn Mairg bagpiped, Schehallion in background

Wind now was a serious issue, and I was considering bailing out, but I figured I had come this far, and there didn't seem to be and dangerous areas that could cause trouble. The ascent to Creag Mhor was a bit sheltered, and I was able to gain some shelter to get a tune played. I took time to look back over the range, and bask in what had been a good achievement.

IMG_2331.JPG
Creag Mhor bagpiped

The route down was a bit of a slog, and somehow I managed to lose a glove! But I got to the car about 7 hours after leaving.

I stopped off in Calender for a well earned burger in the Waverly hotel, and slept well when I made it home.

I will be raining money for Heart and Stroke Scotland soon. Please follow me on facebook - Munrobagpiper or on twitter @munrobagpiper to keep upto date with developments.
Attachments
IMG_2324.JPG
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Re: Glen Lyon route bagpiped!!

Postby DeeTC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 pm

That is superb. I can't believe you had the puff to play the Pipes-and the Kilt too-what a boy :roll: . Great photos. I just did the 4 today in 5 hours! weather fair and no wind that you had. Congrats as that's one of the most unusual posts on here with the photos. :clap:
DeeTC
Mountain Walker

Munros:45   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Glen Lyon route bagpiped!!

Postby IainG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Superb! :clap:
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland