walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Blair & Duchray Hill

Mount Blair & Duchray Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:40 am

Fionas included on this walk: Mealna Letter or Duchray Hill, Mount Blair

Date walked: 14/06/2013

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 805m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Hill of Persie the day before, every time I took a photo Mount Blair seemed to be in it so it was easy to decide where I would head for next.

Forecast for the morning and early afternoon was good so I was up and ready to start at 8am. Chose not to park opposite the gate for the start of the track up Mount Blair as there were logging lorries on the road and there didn't look to be much spare space with them around so headed instead for the spaces closer to the Angus/Perthshire border by the trees and the start of the walk to Duchray Hill. There is some clearing of this wood going on as well so there isn't the usual amount of space to park up so I squeezed in close to the access gate for Duchray Hill.

A short walk along the road and I was on to the track heading straight uphill through the field.

The cows had got their position on the track early and they weren't giving it up so I worked my way round them rather than sticking to the track.

Pic 1.jpg
Looking back at the cows with Duchray Hill in the background

Pic 2.jpg
Looking over towards Glen Shee

Pic 3.jpg
More residents of the field

It's a fairly steep climb through the field and on to the open hillside but the gradient is consistent and height is gained quickly.

Pic 4.jpg
Track just after leaving the field

I was surprised when the mast came into view as I thought it would take a bit longer to get to the summit.

Pic 5.jpg
First sighting of the mast

At the top there was a cool breeze (no complaints after the heat of the previous weekend) so I only stayed on top for about 10 minutes.

Pic 6.jpg
Mount Blair mast

Pic 7.jpg

Pic 8.jpg

Pic 9.jpg

Pic 10.jpg
Duchray Hill

On the way down the cows still had possession of the track so another detour before walking back to the car and starting the walk to Duchray Hill.

Pic 11.jpg
Duchray Hill from the road

Duchray Hill is fairly straight forward and it's just a case of keeping close to the edge of the field keeping the trees to your left. The low part of the field is fairly damp and a little boggy even after the recent dry spell so in wet weather would probably be hard going. Once on the upslope the ground is much drier and the walking easier.

Pic 12.jpg
Following the tree line

Pic 13.jpg
Looking over to Mount Blair

Pic 14.jpg

Once past the trees there is a wall/fence to follow all the way to the summit.

Pic 14b.jpg
First sighting of the summit cairn

Pic 17.jpg
Summit cairn

Pic 15.jpg
Duchray Hill summit cairn with Loch Beanie behind

Pic 16.jpg
Looking towards Glenshee

Pic 18.jpg
A glimpse of Dalnaglar Castle

On the way down I thought about heading over towards the tracks above Dalnaglar Castle but in the end just headed straight back down the hill retracing my steps to the car.

Having driven, cycled and walked past Mount Blair countless times, finally I've climbed it. Really enjoyed both of these hills.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Mount Blair & Duchray Hill

Postby bar72 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:16 am

did this last august, nice stroll for a sunday afternoon.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Re: Mount Blair & Duchray Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 pm

bar72 wrote:did this last august, nice stroll for a sunday afternoon.

Hi bar72

Yip, a good wander and great views up Glenshee. Didn't see a soul on either hill so not exactly crowded :D
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland