walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav

Ben Starav

Postby ALANREIDHILLS » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav

Date walked: 18/05/1964

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off from camp spot in Glen Etive near road end from Coileitir at 9.30am. Ascended by NE ridge. Cloud descending rapidly. (did 3000' in 1.5 hours last night on Bidean with Brian, getting to bed at midnight and sleeping very little)
Just over halfway up, the cloud reached us and I began to feel very tired. A mile long ridge which looked fairly level on the map, was steep enough to give us bother. Last 500 feet felt like sheer murder. Large scree, knees shaking uncontrollably, gale force wind whistling up the gullies ( actually helped, gulped in like water), bitter cold, visibility 10 yards. Collapsed for the last time I thought; felt it impossible that I could go on; no idea how far to go; gradient very steep. A shout from Alan Hutton heralded the summit 10 yards away. Scrambled up and collapsed again, feeling much better. My resolution to give up climbing, which I made 500 feet below, was changed to the opposite!
Rain to hail. visibility 5 yards...lost...inclined to go SW instead of SE. 30 mins, 1000' lower and 10 gallons of water each, the mist cleared a bit and we could see that we had found the correct glen. Reached camp somewhat drier at 5pm. Ate and played 'solo' until 10 then slept, rain pouring all the time.
Packed up and hitched home next day.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ALANREIDHILLS
Wanderer

Munros:94   Corbetts:197
Fionas:90   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:14   Islands:63

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland