walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

ben vorlich

ben vorlich

Postby david451 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Is it possible to do ben Vorlich from the callander side, was looking at assending from dubh choirein up the south side next to the river at the grouse butts, the contours up that side look decent but the 1:25 map shows no track up that side.
david451

Re: ben vorlich

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes, perfectly do-able, though you do have to lose about 150m of height down to the Dubh Choirein. The SE ridge of Vorlich doesn't have much (if anything) of a path, but it's a nice way up the hill (I have approached it via Meall na Fearna rather than from Callendar).

The river crossing before Arivuirichardich could be problematic after rain: the bridge was washed away several years ago and as far as I know hasn't been replaced.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:24 pm

As jmarkb says, it's very doable - and is a nice way to climb those hills, much quieter and wilder-feeling than the standard loops from the north. I've done the round from the Braeleny road-end around half-a-dozen times over the years, most recently last Sunday. Crossing the Keltie is potentially the main issue - there's been no bridge since the cloudburst in 2004, and the water levels can vary considerably. The track crossing is just downstream from the main confluence, so that potentially makes things easier, but last Sunday I ended up wading both parts barefoot all the same.

The back ridge on Vorlich is a fine thing, well worth a visit. There is a path all the way up the crest - just a small one, nothing like the great highway from Ardvorlich, but clear on the ground pretty much throughout. The long descent ridge off Stuc is one of the most pleasant grassy strolls you'll find anywhere.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:06 am

Dave Hewitt wrote: There is a path all the way up the crest - just a small one, nothing like the great highway from Ardvorlich, but clear on the ground pretty much throughout.

Obviously my memory isn't very good!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby david451 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:57 pm

jmarkb wrote:Yes, perfectly do-able, though you do have to lose about 150m of height down to the Dubh Choirein. The SE ridge of Vorlich doesn't have much (if anything) of a path, but it's a nice way up the hill (I have approached it via Meall na Fearna rather than from Callendar).

The river crossing before Arivuirichardich could be problematic after rain: the bridge was washed away several years ago and as far as I know hasn't been replaced.

Found that out last year we spent ages building a step over the small burn then over the dam to avoid the river, we lost so much time and had so much fun building the way over that ben was missed out that year. We went back over the moors onto the crest of the meal dropped into the forest then over the bridge at the falls into callander.

The map shows a track from the buildings on the far side of the washed out bridge but we were unable to pick it up, it should take you over the hill there into the glen.

having this week off so if the weather is decent off to give it a try the following week.
david451

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion