walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little Miss Chloe's 1st Munro: Aged 4 and a bit.

Little Miss Chloe's 1st Munro: Aged 4 and a bit.

Postby Gregorwh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 20/06/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This report is more a recognition of my daughters achievement than a full on walk report as many people have captured the walk better than our camera did. The battery died minutes after leaving the car and someone forgot the spare battery....Doh!!!. So, phone cam shots im afraid. Well, anyway, today is the day that Little Chloe, aged 4 and a bit, completed Ben Chonzie, her first full on Munro. Despite not being the most difficult of challenges for the average Munro madman/woman, i was absolutely amazed at her effort and willingness with regard to her age and small stature in completing an actual Munro. Despite her initial fear of "those crazy sheep" and a bit of tadpole spotting, she soon picked up confidence and got into a stride up the land rover track that had me thinking "Im gonna need to carry this one soon or turn back" But to my surprise she truddged on at a steady pace with only a few water and snack breaks. It appears that the snack breaks comprising of "mountain cookies" ( Hobnobs) chocolate buttons and water are the perfect combination to send small children hurtling up Munros.

20130620_154624.jpg
Chloe in her new house making lunch

20130620_154918.jpg
Proud dad and Chloe

I also forgot to mention it was Honey the dug's 1st Munro. Here she is Striking the Obligatory Munro baggers
" Looking into into the distance thoughtfully" pose.

20130620_154926.jpg
If only treats where as big as Munros

The descent followed the same route up and was just as surprising. Not a moan to be heard despite my constant checks. " No dad im not tired or sore or bored, my legs are fine......can i have a McDonalds on the way home for being a good girl?" Who was i to argue with that. So off we went for a well earned bite to eat before heading home. What can i say, a proud dad moment. For the record this wasnt some kind of punishment for Chloe. The little one has been at me for weeks to take her up the mountains after she pretty much ran up Dumyat, our local hill. Hopefully this will inspire more kids and parents alike to challenge there own ideas of whats possible.

Thanks for reading folks

Greg, Chloe and Honey.
Gregorwh
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   

Re: Little Miss Chloe's 1st Munro: Aged 4 and a bit.

Postby MG1976 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:51 am

Greg, I fully understand your pride in your little girl. Congratulations Chloe, really well done.
This was my eldest's 2nd Munro at a similar age. We did this one from the Loch Turret side, see my report for our pictures. Nothing beats watching your children achieve what so many kids miss out out on. Hopefully, like my Chase, Chloe will be eager to get up another one soon. Be careful though, they can turn into mountain goat's pretty quickly.

Well done, and congratulations to you both (and Honey as well). A day to be remembered.

Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:36 am

Brilliant :clap: Amazing what these little'uns can do if you give them a chance. Brought back memories of climbing Ben More on Mull with my daughter aged 6.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:41 pm

well done girly! :clap: :D great stuff
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby ceaser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Fantastic stuff ,well done Chloe :clap:
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:17 pm

go girl go! :clap:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby peter tindal » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Well done Chloe and woof woof too :clap: :D :thumbup: :-D
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Most excellent & huge respect to Chloe & Honey. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Great stuff, a bit of Dad Daughter bonding time, brilliant. :clap: :D Now for the next one! :) Keep it for a fine day though.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Hill-loving lady » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:15 pm

If you make it fun, and take plenty of really tempting snacks and water, kids are amazingly robust and energy laden...my two went up Lochnagar aged 4 and 6 without a moan, groan or whinge...and they both still love being in the hills (now aged 20 and 22). Even better, when they come north to visit me from uni, it is always with a 'which hill will we go up Mum?' and albeit that I am the proud Mum, I just love the fact that the love of the outdoors was instilled at a very early age and still ensues. So, Chloe, hope you keep enjoying walking with your dad, and that you will always remember the sense of achievement of your first Munro. :clap: :clap: :clap:
IMG_1941.JPG
Rory enjoying the space in corrie an't sneachda before Macdhui and Cairngorm
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby budvarone » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Excellent report, this was the first ( and so far only!) Munro that I've managed to coax my (now) 23 year old daughter to climb with me (she was 22 at the time!) the ascent was ok I have to say, but it was pretty claggy on the summit and we got a wee bit lost in the cloud on the descent, missing the path away from the fence, which Claire DIDN'T like ( one of the few time I've heard her swear!!!!) I think she enjoyed the overall experience, perhaps I should've taken HobNobs and chocolate buttons! A huge "WELL DONE" to Chloe and Honey in bagging their first Munro!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Postby Gregorwh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks for all the great comments folks really appreciate the positive vibe of the Walkhighlands gang, its good to see there are lots of kids NOT stuck in front of XBOX's and PS3's :? Im thinkin schiehallion might be a good one for her to try next. Shes been asking when were going back to the mountains. :wink:
Gregorwh
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   

Postby flipside » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am

well done Chloe & Honey. my kids normally ensure that i buy them fish and chips on the way home, bribery in some format i am sure, but worth it guess. It is brilliant to see kids wandering through the mountains with tired parents in tow always makes me smile, good times :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Postby smike » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Love it - the only reason I got into walking was being taken on countless holidays to the Lake District as a child. This started the obsession which still continues tpday and I will no doubt pass this onto any future offspring! I think the only reason I'm looking forward to having kids is so I can introduce them to the joys of the mountains!
smike
Munro compleatist

Munros:40   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:39
Wainwrights:46   

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Well done Chloe and Honey!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland