walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tae a Moose - with apologies to R Burns

Tae a Moose - with apologies to R Burns

Postby Towser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Aonach Shasuinn

Date walked: 22/06/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This seems hard to believe... but it is true and it makes a good tale later over a pint.

One beautiful day in Glen Affric, as we were setting off for Aonach Shasuinn (888m), I accidentally dropped my boot bag on the ground and out fell boots … gaiters … cat food (lots of it), and … mouse droppings! Our mouths gaped! Mouse droppings we could work out, but cat food? After giving the boots a good knock and clean out, I put them on and we set off up the hill. I mulled over how a stray mouse must have decided to set up a “dez rez” in my boot with food fit for a king – Hills (very expensive) cat food which he must have been nicking from the cat’s dish. I pictured a little mouse, (busy for many days judging by the amount of cat food in the boot!) scurrying back and fore between the cat’s dish and his new home. (Must remember not to keep boots in the porch, and to check the other boots when I get home).

We eventually arrived at the summit cairn. After all the interest back at the car, I had forgotten to put on my gaiters, so my ankles were sore and scratched from the bracken on my sock. I removed my boots and started to pick the bracken off (horrible job), only to discover blood on the toe of my sock. Well, at least I had my first aid kit with me. I took off my sock but found no blood on my skin, no cut, no bruising – how strange! I looked in the boot to see if there was an offending stone in the toe – nothing. Boot empty!

Now really puzzled, and looking for a solution to this mystery, I removed the footbed - horror of horrors – to find a very flat and a very dead mouse between the footbed and the sole of the boot. He was, you could say, “dead flat”, and not in a position to benefit from my first aid kit. I had to get my husband to deal with “it” – I couldn’t even look! It’s little creatures like this that I rescue from the cat: now I had dealt the final blow.

To answer your question: no, I didn’t feel anything at all during my walk up the hill – no lumps, no bumps, no nothing. My boot was just as comfortable as always: oh no!

I realised it must have been blood from the mouse on my sock!!! “Aaargh”. But I had to put that sock back on to go down the hill – with the mouse blood on it! No option as I didn’t have a spare pair of socks.

It was a superb day, but I just can't get that wee mouse out of my head and that is why in my log book, Aonach Shasuinn is now also called “the hill of the mouse”.
Towser
Walker

Re: Tae a Moose - with apologies to R Burns

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Love your mousie tale and will have to watch where I store boots from now on. :shock:

Or at least get the dogs to give them a good sniff over before I insert killer dainty feet! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:54 pm

crikey!! :shock: !
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby GillC » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Oh i once killed a mouse in my boot,,,but i initially thought it was a sock id left in it,,and wriggled my foot,,only to hear a crunching sound... poor wee mite just in there having a snooze and I come along and squish it ,, lol :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby dogplodder » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:19 pm

GillC wrote:Oh i once killed a mouse in my boot,,,but i initially thought it was a sock id left in it,,and wriggled my foot,,only to hear a crunching sound... poor wee mite just in there having a snooze and I come along and squish it ,, lol :clap:

Oh Gill, that's even worse! :shock:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland