walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carlops to Edinburgh

Carlops to Edinburgh

Postby Alba Bhoy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Route description: West Linton to Balerno

Date walked: 24/05/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 24th May, 2013 - Carlops to Edinburgh. OS Landranger Map 65. Start Carlops 1040, arrive Water of Leith Visitor Centre 1515. Distance, about 9 miles Carlops to Balerno then about another 5 from Balerno, along the Water of Leith walkway, to the Visitor Centre. Total, about 14 miles.
Took the 0930 bus from Edinburgh bus station to Carlops. Takes about an hour to reach Carlops as it meanders through South Edinburgh, en route.
Take the track to the left of the Carlops village hall that leads to North Esk reservoir. After a few hundred metres a track branches of to the left headed for Carlop Hill Farm.
You soon reach a group of trees at Fairliehope. Track swings to the right here towards Fairliehope Farm before swinging left (north) again towards North Esk reservoir.
24 May 2013, approaching North Esk reservoir as I head from Carlops to Edinburgh - Copy.JPG
Approaching North Esk reservoir

This is an easy path to follow. Part of it is over logs, I assume this covers the boggier sections and is handy for keeping boots dry. Climbs up after leaving the reservoir and heads towards the Bore Stane.
Looking back to North esk reservoir as I head up to the Bore Stane - Copy.JPG
Looking back to North Esk reservoir as I head up to the Bore Stane

I think the impressive dry stane dyke on your left as you climb up might be the old district boundary.
Well built wall running south from the Bore Stane.jpg
Well built wall running south from the Bore Stane - does this wall represent the old county boundary?

At the ridge you are rewarded with wonderful views to the North with Edinburgh visible to the North East. Path descends from here towards Listonshiels, again parts of it are on wood. Boardwalk walking, if keeps you dry and protects the ground then all well and good.
Looking back up to the trees  - where the Bore Stane is - as I descend towards Listonshiels, Balerno and Edinburgh - Copy.JPG
Looking back up to the trees - where the Bore Stane is - as I descend towards Listonshiels

At Listonshiels head right (east) towards Bavelaw. Follow tracks and minor roads from here to Balerno where you can pick up the Water of Leith walkway and take that to the Water of Leith Visitor Centre.
After the hills, with their lack of trees, the greenery along the Water of Leith is a welcome sight. This route follows the old railway. It is well maintained and easy to walk.
Water of Leith walkway from Balerno into Edinburgh - Copy.JPG
Water of Leith walkway from Balerno into Edinburgh

You have to remind yourself that you are actually walking through Edinburgh. You can hear the traffic noise but the Water of Leith walkway seems very rural, very tranquil. Only 'hazard' is speeding cyclists!
From the Water of Leith visitor centre plenty buses take you into Edinburgh city centre.
Water of Leith visitor centre - Copy.JPG
Water of Leith visitor centre

The visitor centre also sells coffee, biscuits etc and has toilet facilities.
50 miles in 3 days from Melrose to Edinburgh ends here.jpg
50 miles in 3 days from Melrose to Edinburgh ends here.
Alba Bhoy
Mountaineer

Munros:207   
Islands:31

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland