walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Close Calls on the Hills

Close Calls on the Hills

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:03 pm

I was just wondering if folk on WH might like to share their close-calls on the hills…occasions, incidents, when they came a cropper and were ‘this close’ to buying the farm. I’m sure many such incidents will be winter, snow and ice-related – particularly for WH members who have bagged well into triple-figures.

I don’t suggest this thread in a light-hearted or humorous tone. Quite the opposite. I know, for example, that some of us will have friends and acquaintances who, tragically, have lost their lives on the hills, and that is a lesson in itself: that we take hill-walking and the vagaries of the Scottish weather lightly at our peril. I think it would be useful to add the learning point of what you did wrong – so that others could learn from that and (hopefully!) not repeat the experience.

I've not bagged that many hills, but one relatively recent (May 2013) incident comes to mind.

I was walking the Invervar / Glen Lyon circuit of four Munros: Carn Gorm, Meal Garbh, Cairn Mairg and Creag Mhor. It was a fine day, with a relatively easy ascent of the first peak. I managed the second peak pretty much without too much difficulty. However, after that, patchy cloud started to descend, and got worse; the cloud persisted as I made my way (or so I thought) to the third summit,

I walked for maybe 20-25 mins. By this time visibility was maybe 20-30M or so. To make things worse, after a bright sunny start, it started to hail. A strong wind was blowing too - to the point where it was horizontal hail, not quite a white-out, but certainly very disorientating. I had to pull-up my balaclava and the drawstring on my jacket hood so that I could ‘see’ out of a tiny viewing slot as it were…. I must have been fumbling about for a good 30 mins by this time, convinced I was en route to summit 3. After checking my map (difficult in these conditions!) and trying to take a bearing, I realised that the part of the hill I was now on didn’t reflect what my map said it should. Slightly worrying realisation: I was lost.

My location was very exposed, and the weather was getting worse. After a few more mins, I saw a cairn and took shelter behind it. Interestingly, the cairn was very precisely built – shaped exactly like a trig point, and about 6ft high. (Btw, if anyone knows where I was, based on this description, please let me know!). I sought shelter and sat down on the lee side of the cairn, waiting for the hail storm to pass. Watching the horizontal hail was mesmeric. After about 20 mins, though, I found myself nodding off. You know that way, when you wake up with a start, like you’re falling? Well, after doing this twice, I made a conscious point of slapping myself in the face to wake myself up, and forced myself in the general direction of ‘downhill’. By this time, I didn’t give a monkeys about bagging the other two Munros. What was important was getting off the hill safe and in one piece.

I eventually managed it and came off the hill, somewhat with my tail behind my legs.

The learning point? Quite simply the most basic of all: learn to read a map properly. Go over your route several times before you head off. Use every information source you can (map, online, GPS) to plot your route and become familiar with it. But of course, you all know that. I didn’t then. But I do now.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Close Calls on the Hills

Postby lochussie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:42 pm

A few years ago when I had little winter experience I went out with somebody who had done most of the Munros (lesson 1: don't assume this means they know what they are doing). The weather and avalanche forecasts weren't great (lesson 2: maybe leave till another day). We got up high then, as I was adjusting my gaiter, my mate almost disappeared in a cornice collapse (lesson 3: stay further from the edge than you might think you need to; lesson 4: try not to miss exciting moments such as this). For some reason we left the ridge crest (lesson 5: don't do this unless you really need to). We skittered around on icy snow slopes where my mate slipped and fell out of control. I was already thinking how will I notify emergency services and try to find him? when he miraculously stopped (lesson 6: put your crampons on before you need them). These were enough lessons for one day and we headed for the pub, suitably chastened.
lochussie

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 pm

My 2 closest calls were on the same trip.. Went up the ben Easter 2012.. going down to the arete in sleet, I slipped with 20 KG in my rucksack, and managed to do an involuntary cartwheel bounce a half dozen times before I came to rest.. I went on to CMD, and camped in the bealach between there and the Aonachs - next morning I could hardly move, so had to spend the day resting up.. The next day went fine, but the day after that I was in the mamores standing in kicked out steps, ice axe for a handhold, when I heard a rumble from above, and looked up to see snow and rocks falling! Got a right good knock to the head unfortunately.. bloomin scary that was! :shock:
Didn't learn any lessons apart from to take more food in case you have to lay up for a day or two due to injury :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Glendave » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 am

Too many to mention although being avalanched was a good one and a wee slide in winter also tested my axe arrest which was not pretty! Climbing pinnacle ridge on Skye and hugging a boulder which I felt move and a hasty down climb below boulder was nasty. However driving to the hills is the most dangerous part of the day
Glendave

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 am

Lightfoot2017 wrote:. After a few more mins, I saw a cairn and took shelter behind it. Interestingly, the cairn was very precisely built – shaped exactly like a trig point, and about 6ft high. (Btw, if anyone knows where I was, based on this description, please let me know!).

Is THIS where you were? Not too far from getting back, at least you hadn't climbed over the other side. One of my scariest moment was walking into the military in the mist abroad.(and no, I am not in the services).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Lightfoot2017 wrote:. After a few more mins, I saw a cairn and took shelter behind it. Interestingly, the cairn was very precisely built – shaped exactly like a trig point, and about 6ft high. (Btw, if anyone knows where I was, based on this description, please let me know!).

Is THIS where you were? Not too far from getting back, at least you hadn't climbed over the other side.

Thanks Sgurr. :thumbup: You could well be right. The co-ordinates seem to be there or thereabouts. I seem to recall the landscape was alot more level than pictured here ...? but as the weather was so poor, it was very disorientating. :think:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:14 pm

basscadet wrote: Didn't learn any lessons apart from to take more food in case you have to lay up for a day or two due to injury :lol:

That is actually something that had never occured to me, BC. :shock: I always just take enough grub for the planned trip and no more. Excuse the pun, but...food for thought there..... :wink:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Glendave wrote:However driving to the hills is the most dangerous part of the day

Good point, well made Glendave :clap: Though, I must say, I always find the drive back the most dangerous...exhaustion and struggling not to fall asleep not uncommon in my own case :shock:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:49 pm

I think if we are all honest we have all been caught out either in cloud or snow :(
It has happened to me twice (before today), both were on plateau summits in cloud with no obvious paths, it is very scary, you have to trust your compass, even though your mind will tell you otherwise :lol:

If you look at todays expedition on The Fara, that is how easy one can get lost in cloud :oops: :oops:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Since a very late finish when descending Skiddaw via Bakestall in September 2011, my biggest rule for a hillwalk has to be to know in advance when sunrise and sunset are. On that particular walk I completely underestimated the time it would take to bag Latrigg, Lonscale Fell, Little Man Skiddaw, Skiddaw and Bakestall after a 2pm start (pretty much as soon as I arrived in Keswick.)

Honestly, I was over-eager. I've slapped myself on the wrists and learnt since. GPS helps as it will tell you when those times are. I didn't realise that at the time.

Yes, I had a head-torch and spare batteries in my pack (always do) but I could have done a shorter walk that afternoon and the one above on a full day.

Still, 5 fells and a successful return.

AJ
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby clivegrif » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:09 am

One of my more spectacular moments was this:-

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17082

Brilliant day though!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby geefre » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Although that did not happen in Scotland, worth making a post.

I was hiking in Czech Republic and there were some boulders/rocks with permanent ladders between/in them. So I got up on the top, and while going down, I was reaching for handrail, which was... loose really much. Although I was standing on both feet, I was leaning more than 30 degrees towards and had no point to put my hands to stop that nightmare. I was swinging for few seconds (it felt like minutes then!) and the handrail stopped shaking. I looked down and saw that if I felt down that day, I would experience about 10-15 meters fall.

I do trust myself and nature, but I do not trust human-made things. So the lesson is that everyone should have a Plan B in such situations and always check how stable is something before you trust your life on that thing!
geefre
Scrambler

Munros:265   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:27 pm

After traversing the pinnacles on An Teallach my friend and I were on a high, enthusing about the scramble. I then stumbled, and could easily have gone over the cliff. He tripped and fell the other way, twisting his ankle. Getting him off the hill was an epic. Lesson: don't relax after the tricky bit - keep paying attention where you put your feet.

I'd also like to mention Westerham Heights (County Top of Greater London: http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=CoL&rf=5503) as probably the most dangerous hill I've climbed. It's on a blind corner of an A road with no verges, and you take your life in your hands bagging it in the face of oncoming traffic :shock: . I felt safer on the Inn Pinn. Lesson: stick to proper hills and don't bother with County Tops.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:Lesson: don't relax after the tricky bit - keep paying attention where you put your feet.

How true is that? I haven't had any serious incidents but then I haven't done too many hills. My one and only winter ascent (of Ben Challum back in Easter) was absolutely fine at the top in the ice, snow and freezing wind - it was only when I was a few hundred metres or so from the bottom that I tripped up over a rock and split my thumb open.
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby clivegrif » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Sabbathstevie wrote:
Phil the Hill wrote:Lesson: don't relax after the tricky bit - keep paying attention where you put your feet.

How true is that? I haven't had any serious incidents but then I haven't done too many hills. My one and only winter ascent (of Ben Challum back in Easter) was absolutely fine at the top in the ice, snow and freezing wind - it was only when I was a few hundred metres or so from the bottom that I tripped up over a rock and split my thumb open.

Absolutely! I biked in to Lurg Mhor, did the pair of Munros without incident and cycled back. Just at the point where the track reached the road, with the car merely yards away, I cycled across a cattle grid. Or tried to.
The bike went from under me on the damp metal, and I was thrown into a wall, with resulting cuts bruises and 'claret' all over the place.....
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion