walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

new and little knowledge re Scotland

new and little knowledge re Scotland

Postby mooselake4 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm

I am coming to Scotland in early Sept and want to do 5-6 days of walking - from accommodation to accommodation. I did it in the Cotswolds in Feb and loved it. However, the more I read re West Highland Way - It may not be the best choice as my experience with inclines is not great. I was thinking I could perhaps do part of it - but I don't have a good sense of which section.
Walking 6-10 miles/day would be ample with rolling hills (not mountains).
Fitness is adequate.
Would anyone have any recommendations re a beautiful rea that is not simply along a beach, that one can walk from hotel to hotel?
Thank you
mooselake4
Mountaineer

Re: new and little knowledge re Scotland

Postby helenw » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 am

Borders Abbeys Way http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/borders/borders-abbeys-way.shtml, Cateran Trail, or St Cuthberts Way might suit - details can be found at http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml but there are lots of other options if you want to be in the Highlands - the toughest part of the WHW in my opinion is north of Inversnaid - so you could pick up the route at Crianlarich or Tyndrum and walk north from there, or use a bag transfer service.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Re: new and little knowledge re Scotland

Postby mooselake4 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Thank you. I have been spending hours on this site. Very helpful when planning from Canada.
mooselake4
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...