walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ennerdale Circuit: Crag Fell, Haycock & Great Borne

Ennerdale Circuit: Crag Fell, Haycock & Great Borne

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Caw Fell, Crag Fell, Great Borne, Haycock, Starling Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Borne, Haycock, Iron Crag, Starling Dodd

Date walked: 07/07/2013

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 27.25 km

Ascent: 1625m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A long, tough route on a hot summer’s day, linking up the most remote Lakeland Hewitts into a one-day marathon.

ennerdale.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Although a long way from anywhere, the unforested head of Ennerdale Water is a beautiful place – long dark waters between the flatlands heading to the Irish Sea and the rising fells to the east, buttressed by the green crags of Bowness Knott and Angler’s Crag. The indirect route zigzagging up the north face of Crag Fell is a terrific climb, clear enough and easily-graded paths, but running near to the crags and clinging tightly enough to the edge to give great views and the odd frisson of danger.
Ennerdale 007.jpg
Great Borne, Bowness Knott & Angler's Crag over Ennerdale Water

Ennerdale 010.jpg
Ennerdale Water, Knock Murton behind

Ennerdale 012.jpg
High Stile & Pillar from the Angler's Crag col

Ennerdale 024.jpg
Starling Dodd & High Stile ridge from Crag Fell

Ennerdale 025.jpg
Blake Fell range

The far side of Crag Fell is quite a contrast: rounded slopes, a little boggy and – this and Grike wholly denuded of the old forestry – looking rather sad. The four miles from there along the sturdy wall to the upper slopes of Haycock are undramatic but easy, non-stop walking. Iron Crag (on the map, it’s surprising that this isn’t a Wainwright summit; in reality, despite a stony little top and a dramatic profile from the east, it doesn’t feel anything more than a shoulder of Caw Fell and Haycock) and Caw Fell pass quickly by as the higher peaks around Pillar loom into view.
Ennerdale 039.jpg
Haycock & Caw Fell

Ennerdale 043.jpg
Lank Rigg over Bleaberry Gill

Ennerdale 048.jpg
Haycock from Caw Fell

Ennerdale 051.jpg
Iron Crag

The going is a little more testing from there, a nice little scramble over the prominent rise of Little Gowder Crag and then increasingly rocky underfoot to the top of Haycock. This finally seems like a real high fell, rough ground and wide views all round, even with unexpected low cloud masking the Scafell range.
Ennerdale 056.jpg
Great Borne & Starling Dodd from Haycock ascent

Ennerdale 057.jpg
Steeple & Scoat Fell from Haycock

Ennerdale 058.jpg
High Stile

Ennerdale 060.jpg
Red Pike out of the Wasdale clouds

Ennerdale 061.jpg
Close-up of Steeple

Ennerdale 064.jpg
Middle Fell & Seatallan

After backtracking towards Caw Fell, there’s a nice but apparently little-used (leg-scratching heather rampant across much of the way) path gently down Tongue End back to the valley floor.
Ennerdale 067.jpg
Little Gowder Crag, with Caw Fell-Iron Crag ridge behind

Ennerdale 086.jpg
Crag Fell from the valley

This was the possible bale-out point, with the option of the lakeside path back to the start, but nothing had been very hard so far and the lower slopes of Starling Dodd opposite looked quite gentle… Deceptively so, however. Even those are steep enough with plenty of miles in the legs and once the fading path beside Gillflinter Beck finally died out, it was a very slow half-hour of rough, steep scramble over boulders and thick heather to Little Dodd. At least a test of differing muscles from the straight uphill slog, but still definitely feeling like a step too far. Luckily, it’s comparatively easy afterwards along the gentle ridge across the pleasant little rises of Starling Dodd and Great Borne, and a decent path (probably a really good way up) makes the best of the very steep descent.
Ennerdale 093.jpg
Crummock Water between Mellbreak & Grasmoor

Ennerdale 096.jpg
Pillar range, Great Gable left

Ennerdale 101.jpg
Red Pike from Starling Dodd summit

Ennerdale 112.jpg
Ennerdale Water from Herdus

Really hot by this point in the late afternoon, but only a couple of flat miles along the shores of Ennerdale Water, the little ‘beaches’ buzzing with sunbathers, back home.
Ennerdale 129.jpg
Crag Fell

Ennerdale 130.jpg
Great Borne & Bowness Knott

Ennerdale 133.jpg
Pillar between Bowness Knott & Angler's Crag

This was a route with plenty of good walking and some lovely scenery, but (much as there are far more daunting Ennerdale loops than this that others take in their stride) it might be quite a while before I take on as much again…
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ennerdale Circuit: Crag Fell, Haycock & Great Borne

Postby colgregg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Great report. Can't believe I missed you! I was on Great Borne around 2 pm Sunday!!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby john923 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Good stuff P. You seem to be ticking off the Lakeland Hewitts at a cracking rate.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby AJNicholls » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 am

There's 5 I need to do right there. :clap:

Will try to get through them if I get up there next month. Thanks for the report, will be useful.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:23 pm

poppiesrara wrote:This was a route with plenty of good walking and some lovely scenery, but (much as there are far more daunting Ennerdale loops than this that others take in their stride) it might be quite a while before I take on as much again…

Great stuff sir :clap: It took me two days and I smashed my camera :(
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby yellowbelly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 pm

A good route this one, made better by your variation up Crag Fell below the pinnacles. That descent path from Caw Fell is a bit rough where you're walking with your feet in a narrow watery stony trough with heather up to your knees :lol:
You were very adventurous going up by Gillflinter Gill. My worst nightmare descent in Ennerdale a few years ago was from Little Dodd down to the gill and into the valley - all boulders and bracken on a very hot day! I vowed never to return that way again. Mind you, the ascent of Red Pike (Buttermere) from Ennerdale also seems to be interminable.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125

Postby poppiesrara » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks all. Col - if I'd been moving at anything more than a snail's pace I might have been there! but missed you by just a couple of hours...

It took me two days and I smashed my camera

Looking forward to the second day's report, but I already think it's fair to say that yours was a far bigger and tougher version than my cut-off effort...

That descent path from Caw Fell is a bit rough where you're walking with your feet in a narrow watery stony trough with heather up to your knees
You were very adventurous going up by Gillflinter Gill. My worst nightmare descent in Ennerdale a few years ago was from Little Dodd down to the gill and into the valley - all boulders and bracken on a very hot day! I vowed never to return that way again. Mind you, the ascent of Red Pike (Buttermere) from Ennerdale also seems to be interminable.

The heather and stones are definitely still there on the descent, luckily the water isn't at the moment, but I can imagine it gathers pretty easily in that trough... I definitely couldn't recommend the Gillflinter Gill way up (spent quite a lot of time sitting looking wistfully at that Red Pike path, which - although far longer - might well have been quicker and easier), but I imagine it would indeed have been far, far worse going down: heroic stuff!
poppiesrara
Walker

Postby colgregg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Snails pace!! That was an epic and with the weather no need to rush. Last time I was in Ennerdale I was completely blitzed by the time I'd finished. Grike, Tarn Crag, Lankrigg , Caw, Scoat and pillar and back was a long day. Still was better than watching the jubilee.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Great report from a nice walk, poppie. I did a fairly similar route in reverse last year, without Haycock but adding Lank Rigg and Grike. That crossing of Ennerdale from one range to the other is really pleasant in nice weather, and makes all the hard work worthwhile. There's a superb view of Pillar, Scoat Fell and Steeple, with Pillar Rock and Steeple standing out on the skyline, from the lower part of the route form the valley to Starling Dodd. You'll have had your back to it; did you turn round and see it?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby poppiesrara » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Rather more teethgritting than turning round on that segment as I remember it, sadly...- you probably found it a little more pleasant than me! This is nearly it, but I'd have needed to get in a bit later to see Pillar Rock in full profile.
Ennerdale 087.jpg
poppiesrara
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland