walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Base Location Advice

Base Location Advice

Postby enviking » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Greetings! I would like to spend 3 days doing day hikes in the Highlands, and I am looking for recommendations on a town/hamlet that I can use as a base. I will be flying to Edinburgh straight from a professional conference in Dublin, so I will not have a car, and ideally the town will be accessible by train or bus, and have fairly easy access to trail heads. I do not plan to have a lot of gear with me, so the walks need not be too extreme. I'm basically looking to experience the Highlands for a few days, and would appreciate any and all recommendations. Much Thanks!!
enviking
Mountaineer

Re: Base Location Advice

Postby allanglens » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 pm

To he honest the place that springs to mind is Aviemore. Easily accessible by train, and enough walks of every standard for three days or more. Plus lots of accommodation, and bars / restaurants. And equipment shops for the things you forgot to pack.
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Re: Base Location Advice

Postby Matthew C » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:04 pm

allanglens wrote:To he honest the place that springs to mind is Aviemore. Easily accessible by train, and enough walks of every standard for three days or more. Plus lots of accommodation, and bars / restaurants. And equipment shops for the things you forgot to pack.

Snap,first place that sprang to mind :clap: :clap:
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion